I'm on the edge of insanity

(10 Posts)
Ednamoda Sun 10-Jul-16 10:47:56

Ok, slight exaggeration but I'm desperate! Cat will not use her litter tray. Rarely has. She has a cat flap and can go in and out as she pleases. I've just pulled up the bathroom Lino and the stench on the wood flooring underneath is unbearable. I no longer let her upstairs. She's also pee'd in my hall carpet which no amount of cleaning will remove the lingering smell. Now she's peeing in my kitchen. She's always been like it but she used to go outside more. I've tried litter trays all over the place but she bloody wee's next to them. I completely adore her. She's nearly four and it's my only issue. First question? Is there any tips on how to get rid of the smell from floor boards and carpet? And how the hell do I get her to stop! Ps. I'm going to buy different litter today.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Jul-16 11:17:16

Has the vet tested her urine?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 10-Jul-16 11:29:58

Try finer consistency litter. She might have sensitive pads. I use intersand Classic. It's amazing!

recall Sun 10-Jul-16 11:32:39

you might have to start from scratch. Try confining her into a small space and see if she uses the litter tray. Once she has established a routine of using it again - gradually expand the area. Hopefully she will continue to use the tray ?

Ednamoda Sun 10-Jul-16 21:22:43

No, not bothered testing irons because she's always wee'd next to the tray. She does seem to like Thomas litter so I'll get some tomorrow. I might fill the floor space with trays too.

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Jul-16 21:24:54

Is she going inside because she's scared of a threat outside? New cat in her territory?
You can change litter. Maybe start by confining her to one room.
You MUST get rid of the smell or she will just keep coming back. You can get special cleaning stuff.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Jul-16 21:40:32

I'd get a urine test done. The only symptom ours showed was weeing everywhere, usually right where we could see it. No lethargy or reduced appetite.

Looking back he was trying to tell us something was wrong.

It was about £10ish. If she wees on a hard surface you can use a medicine dropper or a syringe to suck it up for the vets.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 10-Jul-16 21:40:54

Wolfie, they don't work! I've tried loads of them. And the repellent sprays smell terrible and also don't work either!

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Jul-16 21:42:29

Can't remember what has been suggested on here. You need something that breaks down the smell. If floorboards are soaked I can't ever imagine getting that out! shock
Definitely no cystitis? No other changes in behaviour?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 10-Jul-16 21:49:52

My vet treated my girls anxiety weeing with cystophan. That didn't work but zykelene does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now