Help what does my kitten need? A name for a start!

(35 Posts)
EachandEveryone Wed 06-Jul-16 21:04:02

Never had one before but I've fought it for too long. She's the last one left. I live in a flat but she can go out the back way when it's time. What do I need to buy? What's her name? We like Rebel, Saffy or Cynthia Rose huge prince fan

cozietoesie Wed 06-Jul-16 22:33:31

She looks like a Cynthia Rose to me. smile (Rosie for short, maybe.) Lovely girl.

How old is she?

EachandEveryone Wed 06-Jul-16 22:39:29

7 weeks. Im just on Amazon now looking what i need. Dont want to go mad at first. We are toying with CeCe or Saffy as well.

EachandEveryone Wed 06-Jul-16 23:31:44

We like Daphne now!

ample Wed 06-Jul-16 23:36:01

I know a CeCee (human not feline) and you wouldn't want to meet her!
I like Daphne very much

Flacidunicorn Wed 06-Jul-16 23:36:02

You need a bed, that hers where noone touches her when shes in it.
You need a litter tray, for poops.
A bowl for food and a bowl for water
You can waste money, as i did, on endless toys and what not, or you can but a ball of string for £1 from tesco and cut bits off it. Far more fun, far cheaper. Screwed up bits of paper work well too. Also, kipling bakewells with the silver tray, screw the silver tray up and you have a toy.
Scratching posts are useful too.

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jul-16 23:36:04

Daphne is very cute. Gorgeous kitty smile

Flacidunicorn Wed 06-Jul-16 23:37:15

As for names, id suggest AJ.
I like My Little Pony though. ; )

Also, petplanet have some decent stuff at decent prices.

ample Wed 06-Jul-16 23:41:14

Clawdia Claudia?
Malloy?
Meowlody?

(Forgive me, I've been sorting through my DC's Monster High doll collection this evening confused)

Please choose Daphne smile and your kitten is adorable btw

ample Wed 06-Jul-16 23:42:10

Mallory, even

EachandEveryone Thu 07-Jul-16 00:15:21

Should we pay for a timer food bowl we work shifts. The food was expensive do they go on to big standard cat food or have I set myself up for a lifetime of Waitrose?

EachandEveryone Thu 07-Jul-16 00:17:42

Oh and do I need a litter tray with a dome on it? When do I give worming tablets and take her to the vets?

Flacidunicorn Thu 07-Jul-16 08:23:41

If you work shifts, how long will kitten be left alone? A very young kitten shouldn't really be left for any great length as they can get into serious trouble.

All house plants will be dug up, power cables might get chewed, carpets scratched up, sofs destroyed, curtains climbed, tvs knocked over, toilet bowls fallen in, etc.
You'll have to kitten proof a large room for her to play in whilst you're out so she can burn her energy off.
cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/ht/kittenproof.htm

Food wise, when you get her you're better off keeping them on whatever food shes used too, then slowly introduce what ever food you want to feed her. We give ours a wet pouch of kitten food in the morning and one in the evening. We use felix kitten, whiskas kitten, Tesco kitten.
He also has acces to dry food all the time, right now its Go Cat.

Litter trays can be covered or open, depends on what your kitten is used too. Ours uses 2 covered ones with out the flaps on. One is in the kitchen, where he goes at night or when we go out, one is in the living room.

Shell need vaccinations, boosters, neutering etc apart from that then vet isnt necessary unless there somethig wrong. I would strongly suggest a cat insurance policy. Most on here suggest pet plan, im still looking into it. We got 4 weeks free with petpan from CPL.

Worming is once a month until 6 months old and then every 3 months from then on. Flea treating depends on the treatment you choose. Collars, drops, sprays etc. Just hve a chat your vet when you tke her for check up / vaccinations.

I thinknthts everything. grin

EachandEveryone Thu 07-Jul-16 09:13:06

Thank you! I would say she'll be on her own six hours max I think I'll keep her in the kitchen. Tbh I'm hoping the litter tray won't be long term. I think I've ordered everything now. Roll on Sunday!

Flacidunicorn Thu 07-Jul-16 09:30:36

The litter tray will have to be permanent though? You live in a flat, will be away for 6 hpurs, where is she going to shit and piss if not a litter tray? Are you planning to toilet train? grin

EachandEveryone Thu 07-Jul-16 09:51:02

Ha! Next doors have a cat flap but I don't want her mixing with those ruffians so tray it is the . Will she still do it outside?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:41:03

Our cat was on his own all day as a kitten, he sat in the conservatory and viewed ndn dog with disdain. Dh would go home at lunchtime and get ignored.

She's very pretty.

Buggers Thu 07-Jul-16 19:42:59

She's definitely a Daphnegrin!

WeirdAndPissedOff Thu 07-Jul-16 23:48:11

She's gorgeous!
Re the tray, ours started using outside once they were allowed out, however we still keep it for use of they want it.

She can't be allowed outside until vaccinated, and preferably not until after spaying. Plus if she will be shut in for long periods she will still need the tray - once in adulthood they can "hold it" if they need to but it's possible to get a bladder infection from doing so.

I'd say 6 hours is fine to be alone - just make sure you remove anything she can get into trouble with.

EachandEveryone Fri 08-Jul-16 08:28:23

Is it mean to lock her in the kitchen while we are out? It's the closing of all windows in summer I'll need to remember. Can't really have them open even when I'm in

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 17:55:04

You can get a Flat Cat window mesh, which means you can have your windows open, and they can be made to measure. I have them on my upstairs windows. Think they were about £30 each, but he'll give you a discount if you order several.

My youngest cat likes flinging himself at it, then using his claws to stick to it like a velcro wall. I sometimes think passers by must think I have an odd taste in window decorations when he does that.

I like the name Cynthia Rose, her nick-name could be Madame Sin, after the late Cynthia Payne!

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 17:56:51

...Forgot to say she's adorable. smile

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 18:19:58

And apologies to poster who feeds Go-Cat, Felix and Whiskas, They're not good for cats. Cats that are fed on Go-Cat often develop cystitis and crystals in their pee-pipes.

Whiskas and Felix are the equivalent of McDonalds. Applaws (80% meat, no cereals) is a good dry food, and Butchers Classic, also containing no cereals, is a good wet food. Butchers don't do a kitten food as far as I know, and I started my youngest on Animonda Carny, and as she's so young, I'd add a little water to it - cats don't have much of a thirst drive, and a 7 week kit can become dehydrated very quickly.

Better quality food = less smelly poos, and less of them.

Flacidunicorn Fri 08-Jul-16 18:40:42

Ive heard all that before Rubbish and have been researching foods and such since before we got him. Hes only been with us 3 weeks so dont have any intention of drastic diet changes just yet, little changes now and then.
I dont know if i can link other forums, but theres a pet one which discusses cat foods and the like with a handy chart showing nutritional info on a lot of foods.

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 18:58:47

You're right there, an immediate change of diet can cause a Poonami.

But Go-Cat - it's the worst of the 3 mentioned. I'm surprised it's still sold, tbh.

Congratulations on your new hooligan kitten!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now