Oh no, I've become THAT neighbour...

(9 Posts)
bigtapdancingpimp Tue 05-Jul-16 16:13:22

Just moved house and my three cats love it - very peaceful and away from traffic. Next door is a holiday home and the owners come out 2-3 times a year for a few weeks at a time - they have several huge pots on their patio and I noticed smelt that my cats have been using them as an en suite [embarrassed] There are now signs of life next door so am anticipating a knock on the door (and possibly an angry AIBU on here) so I will have to grovel and offer a solution.

Money is tight at the moment so I need something cheap, has anyone tried diluted lemon juice in a spray bottle (on the plants, not the cats) as a deterrent? Google also suggests keeping the soil wet so looks like I'll be getting up ten minutes earlier every morning to hose their pots shock

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 16:27:07

You can buy a deterrent for cats - "Get Off" I think it's called.

Mine crap in the flowerbed regardless of wet soil, (despite having clean litter-boxes available to them). Then clod-hop the mud through the house.

PovertyPain Tue 05-Jul-16 16:32:36

I think you should make a pre-emptive strike. Go next door and apologise about the cats, offer to clean it up (I use dog poop bags over my hand to lift the poo and drop it into a larger bag, it's quicker than faffing about with a trowel, though also take a trowel for the really mucky ones) and explain you didn't want to trespass, but if they have no objection, you will go into their garden in future to keep it clear. They're liable to be grateful and if they're arses about it then they can clean the shit up themselves. Good luck.

PovertyPain Tue 05-Jul-16 16:37:25

Bty, I have five cats and there are six litter trays that I have empty regularly, but I keep them in at night so they mostly use them then. I'm under no illusion that they probably shit in other neighbours' gardens but so many people have cats round here I think everybody's attitude, including the none cat owners, is shit happens. wink Most of the others either have screaming children or barking dogs so it does no harm for everyone to not sweat the small stuff. Except for my immediate neighbours on one side, they're cunts, bug that's a whole other thread. grin

bigtapdancingpimp Tue 05-Jul-16 16:43:13

Thanks Rubbish Very considerate of your pussies not to soil the clean litter trays wink

I'm not in the UK so not sure about Get Off - will have to try the citrusy spray first and if it doesn't work I'll try some pet/DIY shops. A few years ago I discovered Avon Skin So Soft sprayed on the soil seemed to deter them but I've run out now. I have a big bottle of Windex so that might work if all else fails (think the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding grin )

bigtapdancingpimp Tue 05-Jul-16 16:50:12

That's what I was thinking Povertypain It's a really nice neighbourhood (neighbour on the other side apologised to me for having a cigarette in his garden last night) and don't want to upset anyone.

I may have to warn them about leaving their windows open and finding a random moggy on their bed grin

PovertyPain Tue 05-Jul-16 16:59:54

Just be careful about what you spray on the soil. I have visions of you starting a new thread about your neighbours falling out with you because you've killed all their plants. grin I've tried using the peeks of zest fruits, but my cats just played with them. hmm I think my cats may well be smart arses.

PovertyPain Tue 05-Jul-16 17:00:54

Peels not peeks, in case you think that's an exotic new plant. blushgrin

bigtapdancingpimp Tue 05-Jul-16 17:43:08

Update!

Neighbour just wandered out into his garden - I scared the life out of him as he wasn't expecting to see anyone grin Nice young man out for a few days for some peace and quiet to work on his thesis - he admired my cats, asked their names and assured me he would let me know of any poo issues. Also had a brief chat about local roadworks, solar panels and plumbing grin I think I've been on MN too long and immediately expected grief!

And yes Poverty your cats are smart arses hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now