Zara eats flies

(39 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Tue 05-Jul-16 13:20:02

My dainty fairy princess, offspring of a prizewinning Abysinnian Queen, has taken to stalking flies, biting them out of mid-air, and eating them with an expression of great satisfaction. Apart from the ick factor, this is harmless right? Do other cats do it?

Buggers Tue 05-Jul-16 13:22:10

My cat does it too, Positive thing is we never have flies in the house for long nowgrin! His never been poorly after gulping them down though so don't worry about that.

user1466610292 Tue 05-Jul-16 13:22:33

My cat is currently running around the lounge after a fly. She loves to eat them, massive spiders as well!!

cozietoesie Tue 05-Jul-16 14:00:23

My boys have always gone after Daddy Longlegs. There's little so incongruous as a most elegant Siamese sitting gazing at you beatifically - with a leg trailing from between its teeth. (Sorry if TMI.)

TheDropBear Tue 05-Jul-16 14:05:51

The worst is the really big bluebottles that make a crunching noise

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 15:02:01

My little Devon Rex loved flies as a kitten, and would do that teeth chattering thing while stalking them. And if I got the fly-swatter out, he'd follow me about, and eat the swatted flies - he preferred them not quite dead, still buzzing in circles on the floor.

He didn't like blue-bottles, when he tried his first one, he spat it out in disgust.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 05-Jul-16 15:08:28

Our dear departed teenage good cat loved catching butterflies.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 05-Jul-16 15:10:31

Oh yes, mine loves a fly grin

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 05-Jul-16 17:48:39

he'd follow me about, and eat the swatted flies - he preferred them not quite dead, still buzzing in circles on the floor

Grim.

I guess I'll leave her to enjoy her prey then. It's the only unladylike thing she's ever done in her life.

WillH Tue 05-Jul-16 18:10:05

Mine does!

stareatthetvscreen Tue 05-Jul-16 18:16:21

nope

my siamese catches, chews, then spits out

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 18:26:48

He also enjoys a long, cool drink, out of the toilet bowl.

You have an Abysinnian? Beautiful cats. I'd love one, but 2 loons are more than a handful, (for me).

If you really want to show her a good time, get one of those battery operated tennis racket fly swatters. It stuns them, and they will spin in circles on the floor, giving your cat much joy. but not the fly, but I hate the buggers because they lay eggs in my little lads' food

Post a picture of your elegant princess, pleease? grin

SweetChickadee Tue 05-Jul-16 20:12:15

Yep ours eats any kind of bug - he's ace grin ...crickets, spiders, flies, dragonflies, you name it, he'll crunch it...

It's never done him any harm. In fact he's taught the old fat cat to do the same - she's not as good at catching them tho grin

RustyPaperclip Tue 05-Jul-16 22:01:49

Oh yes, both of mine love hunting spiders and flies. Our little girl, bless her, is too small for birds or mice. Her biggest catch has been the odd worm or two. We caught our Bengal chattering at the wall yesterday and then noticed a massive fly. It didn't last long!

Autumnchill Tue 05-Jul-16 22:06:33

Youngest chases Cabbage Whites round the garden. She's away with the fairies half the time playing with shadows and jumping around in the long grass. Suspect she has a cat nip problem grin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 05-Jul-16 22:13:09

My girl cat, is so pleased and triumphant when she catches a fly...and she is also so very refined and well mannered...and he is called Faerie.

My very first cat would eat daddy long legs too, and be so so pleased with himself.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 05-Jul-16 22:17:01

she...not he, dear god she will kill me while i sleep for that!!

WellWhoKnew Tue 05-Jul-16 22:34:40

No flies in my house. Well a few foolish ones have dared to darken the doors.

The gulp is audible, as is the post feast licking of the lips.

RustyBear Tue 05-Jul-16 22:44:38

grin

RustyPaperclip Tue 05-Jul-16 23:08:27

Oh a fellow cat loving Rusty

<waves hello>

Loving the 'sky raisins' grin

RustyBear Tue 05-Jul-16 23:21:14

<waves back>

MoonlightandMusic Tue 05-Jul-16 23:30:14

Mine doesn't eat them any more sad - just watches as they zoom around annoying us! Was a brilliant fly-catcher in her day. But yes, the crunch when a bluebottle is caught is a bit grim.

Just think - extra protein for her, fewer 'fly-poo on food' incidents to worry about for you. grin

RustyPaperclip Tue 05-Jul-16 23:47:35

Rather a fly than a frog in my opinion. I still shudder when I recall my old family cat catching a frog one day when I was sunbathing in the garden as a teenager. I never knew that a frog could squeal like thatsad

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 06-Jul-16 07:50:00

Sky raisins! grin

She's an Aby cross - dad was an opportunistic mog who pushed a window open during the mother's heat. Very aby head and body shape, but patches of white and ginger mixed with her ticking. She went last as the others in the litter looked full Abysinnian, but I don't care at all, I think she's beautiful.

cozietoesie Wed 06-Jul-16 08:02:52

She's a gorgeous lass. Those ears! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now