Hell is drawing near :(

(17 Posts)
DraenorQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 21:29:41

I have three beautiful cats. I am moving house on Saturday. The thought of getting all three into a small room then trying to manoeuvre them one by one into the carriers FILLS ME WITH DESPAIR.
The whole process is a misery. Once I finally get them in, they will totally ignore the dreamies I poke through the holes in the carrier, making me feel hugely guilty. Then for the entire drive they'll cry. Not just normal meowing, but that awful MRRRRRRRRRAAOOOOOWWWWW noise.
Dreading this so much!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:52:35

Gin. Lots of it.

DraenorQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 10:12:10

Good plan!! The second they're shut up in a room in the new place I'll relax. I've been packing today and they're horribly unsettled, they really weren't happy when I brought the cat boxes in. The oldest one has moved a few times before and is sitting in the window making crying noises. Really wish it was all over.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:01:32

I tried to get mine into a cattery last time but after nothing moving for months all of a sudden we had a date & the cattery was full.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Jul-16 15:09:24

I have the only cat in the world who willingly jumps into the carrier with no coaxing as he likes the car and the vetconfused

What about feeding them a few days before by putting their food into the carrier? Spray the carrier with feliway?

Good luck!!

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 01-Jul-16 16:11:35

I was dreading it too, but honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Get a feliway spray and spray your car, carriers and blankets that can be taken out when you get there. Also get a plugin going asap.

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-16 16:14:02

Gin. Lots of it.

Who for, the cats or the OP?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:43:09

Op.

Last thing any of us need is pissed up cats crying & throwing up everywhere.

Anyway cats would drink champagne.

Imissmy0ldusername Fri 01-Jul-16 20:24:28

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen - ours both jump happily in too - if it makes any difference, the crate is a top loading one, so is basically a box, as far as they are concerned. One of ours doesn't mind the destination, but hates the journey - as soon as she's at the vets, she's all purrs (she's a rescue, and as far as she's concerned all humans are good, even if they are sticking thermometers up her bum). The other hates the journey, and hates vets. Really, really hates them. She got a nosebleed the last time anyone tried to giver her a tablet. But if she ends up somewhere un-vetty, she's all sweetness and light.

OP, I can only recommend oven gloves, and a mentality of "it's for your own good, and you'll thank me in the end". There's little you can do about the journey, I hope it's not too long, for your sanity, if nothing else. And remember, when you get them where they are going, they probably won't poo for a couple of days.... Good luck, and enjoy your new home!

SoupDragon Fri 01-Jul-16 20:58:22

I have a top loading crate for FatCat. He does the cartoon thing of gripping on with one leg on each corner.

I might try gin.

kernowgal Sat 02-Jul-16 09:31:57

Mine's legs suddenly become very long and straight as soon as the cat basket appears. He is not a fan, even if I chuck a load of Dreamies in there first.

Good luck. Do they like catnip? Could you put some inside?

DraenorQueen Sun 03-Jul-16 10:06:07

Done!!! It was just AWFUL. Took my half an hour and there were tears. I have several scratches up my arms and chest.... But was so worth it. The new house is so beautiful and they've been exploring all night. They seem so happy, they keep rolling round on their backs and coming for cuddles. Was too tired for gin last night but have a nice bottle of prosecco chilling for tonight :-D

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:17:08

Well done!

At least it's all over and you all lived to tell the tale.

RoosterCogburn Sun 03-Jul-16 14:51:21

Yaaay - you survived.

Nine years down the line DH and I talk about our house move in terms of the cats and how they reacted.
grin

DraenorQueen Sun 03-Jul-16 20:58:14

Oh GOD Rooster, it sounds awful!!
I did survive but god, getting them in the boxes as SO bad. In the interests of openness I feel I should say I was REALLY hung over due to an impromptu goodbye dinner party fro my neighbours.
The placid cat was in withing 5 mins.
The 5 year old ginger scratched me to fuck and made AWFUL sounds as if to say "mummy you traitorrr!"
The 2 year old tiny one did not hold back. Scratches left, right and centre. Luckily some lovely person on here here suggested wrapping them in a pillowcase or similar. I wrapped her in a shirt and it worked a treat.

So chilled right now, with sunset, prosecco and happy kitties.

Thanks everyone!

RoosterCogburn Sun 03-Jul-16 21:29:16

Glad you are all settled - wishing you every happiness in your new home

We had five - DH eventually managed to crate them all and they travelled in the back of a van we'd hired. It was only a twenty minute journey.

The old boy screamed all the way - we both swear his miaow sounded like a long drawn out "Naaaaaaaaoooooow". When we opened the van he was clinging to the top of the crate (upside down) - the silly sod managed to damage his paw requiring a vet visit a few days later.

One had done a rather impressive dirty protest through the vents in the side of the cat crate. DH had wedged that particular crate with a duvet which had to be burned immediately - it was so bad I couldn't even bin it.

One was so furious that when we released him he marched out of the crate, smacked us both (hard) on the ankles with his paw and hid under the bed only coming out to eat for several days.

One was so traumatised (former feral) she could never be caught to be crated again.

And one was completely unbothered!

DraenorQueen Sun 03-Jul-16 22:07:43

This is HILARIOUS!! Obvs not at the time.... those poor kitties! grin
Thanks for the good wishes. I'd like to say Trauma Over but in 6 weeks or so we'll have the hassle of "oh god I have to let my kitties outside and they won't come hoooooooome......."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now