Cat D&V/IBS - does it exist?

(13 Posts)
JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 10:07:53

On Tuesday, one of my kittens threw up white foam - probably 3 small amounts in a five minute period. In the past 6 hours or so, he has also had liquid poo, about 3 times.

Apart from this, he seems absolutely fine. Running around like crazy, eating & drinking as normal. His diet hasn't changed & he's not been outside so don't think he's been exposed to anything. The only new thing in the house is a bunch of roses which he's been sniffing. He did drink a little of DH's milk the other day.

Should I be concerned? Or can cats just get a bit of a dodgy stomach like IBS? We live in a rural area with no vet in our town, so just looking for some reassurance/kick up the arse to take him to get checked out if necessary.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Jun-16 10:10:26

Kittens. How old? Vaccinated? Neutered?
Milk can upset tummies. What food do you use?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jun-16 10:13:28

Was it normal cows milk? If yes then don't give it again and see if the problem goes away. A high percentage of cats are intolerant.

JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 10:17:20

Kittens - more like cats. 10 months. Yes to vacc + neuter. We don't live in the UK so they have Bob Martin pouches and Epol dry food.

He's a crafty little thing and was up drinking from DH's glass as he turned back round to put the carton in the fridge. DH says he can't have had much, but can't help but think that may be the trigger.

Would it still have an effect from Tuesday night? His brother seems to have a cast iron stomach in comparison, having eaten an entire cheese croissant a couple of weeks back with no issues grin I know - I need to get DH to be more aware that they can and will steal food that isn't good for them.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:22:32

They often adore milk but it's generally not good for them. (I have a cat who isn't at all lactose intolerant but he's not so usual.)

Has his pooing settled down at all?

JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 10:25:31

He woke me up at 3am going and then he's been twice since. Apart from that, he's absolutely fine.

Feel a bit more reassured that it was probably the milk. Will keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:34:57

Does he have a common litter tray with his brother at the moment?

JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 10:39:26

There's 2 litter trays that they share. Is it worth me trying to make them use separate ones?

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:46:20

I don't immediately see how you could. Not without separating them anyway. It's just that I'd have normally expected the diarrhoea to be a little quicker coming and I'm not clear how the frothy vomit relates to the milk.

I'd vet him if the pooing continues to be be liquid.

JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 11:58:28

Thanks cozie and all. Will keep an eye and if it's still liquid tomorrow, we'll arrange to get him to the vets.

RubbishMantra Thu 30-Jun-16 12:25:03

You say he was sniffing roses, did they come from the garden or a florist? I'm wondering if they could have come into contact with lilies, and some of the pollen brushed onto the roses. First symptoms are D/V, then renal failure.

(Not trying to frighten you, just the thought popped into my head)

JamieVardysParty Thu 30-Jun-16 12:28:22

From a supermarket. It's a thought. Are there any other symptoms that I need to look for?

I bought them on Sunday, he had a sniff round them at the start of the week. Tuesday night was the white foam (Google says that this can just be when something's irritated their stomach and they haven't been fed) and then this morning the loose poo.

Apart from that, he is fine. Running round, climbing on things he shouldn't, eating & drinking normally.

RubbishMantra Thu 30-Jun-16 12:49:40

Here's a link explaining what symptoms to look out for.

Seems unlikely though, if he's behaving normally, with no signs of lethargy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now