Don't know how to cope

(22 Posts)
MyKingdomForBrie Thu 30-Jun-16 09:37:39

Our beautiful boy has been missing for four days now. He never stays out, he's neutered. We moved house five weeks ago and kept them in for nearly three weeks, let them out supervised and they clearly knew home every time.

Now he's gone and we are so heartbroken and all I can think about is that he must be trapped or hurt and cold and hungry and he's just such a perfect beautiful big chunky boy and I don't know what to do.

We have knocked, searched, posters, leaflets, social media, vets etc.

I wake up in the night so often to check if he's back, his brother just walks around the house crying for him. Sorry I'm not sure what the point of the thread is I just feel so hopeless and useless.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 09:41:56

It's a hard thing when a cat goes missing. Very hard. Many posters here know the situation although some of them have had cats return after quite long times.

Come on here to talk about it as you will.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:20:52

I just feel so helpless! He must be somewhere within maybe a mile of our home? But we just don't know where so we can't help him. It's so heartbreaking. He's such a noisy naggy demanding boy, and he sleeps on my clean laundry and I'd never complain again if he came home.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:32:09

I know. You sound to have done what you can, though. It can still be rough.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 30-Jun-16 13:37:17

Have you been back to your old house to see if he's there?

katemiddletonsnudeheels Thu 30-Jun-16 13:41:36

flowers

Where are you? Can anybody here help look out for him?

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 30-Jun-16 14:32:32

I'm in Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire. There's posters up everywhere round us now.

I have popped back to the old house though it is a 20 minute drive and he's not exactly streetwise the poor love. I so regret letting them out but they were so desperate to be in the garden and I think it's so cruel when cats want to be outdoors not to let them.

He definitely thought of the new house as home, we tested that over week three before they went roaming. Obviously not well enough. There is a park behind us so he could have been scared by a dog or something and run off. I just can't bear not knowing. My dh is distraught.

timtam23 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:52:42

I am so sorry, it is really hard when they go missing. There comes a time when you have done everything to find them and then are left waiting, which is a very tough time. It sounds as if you have done loads. Have you also checked with postman/milkman, and hung a blanket or other bedding on the washing line/put out some used cat litter or hoover bag contents so that he can pick up the scent? Good luck - still a very good chance that he will come back. Keep us posted

GRW Thu 30-Jun-16 21:27:33

I'm sorry and I hope you find him. Have you put his details on animal search website? I was advised to do that when a stray was hanging around near me. If you register with them they send updates of any cats found in the local area.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 30-Jun-16 23:28:51

We have given the postman our leaflet, we have posted on the vets website and some local lost and found sites - pets and other kinds. I haven't put a Hoover bag or anything outside, I will definitely do that tomorrow, thank you.

We are starting to lose hope. He's just so vulnerable, I can't think where he could possibly be all this time and still be ok. Thank you for your posts, it is nice of everyone to think of us.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 01-Jul-16 01:09:02

He's back!!!! Cannot believe our luck. So bloody over the moon crazy happy!! He sauntered in at half midnight and yowled for food, ate a packet of meat and most of a packet of dreamies then went straight back for the cat flap!!! My dh refuses to put him down now so might have to stay in tonight.. Thank you for the support.

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Fri 01-Jul-16 02:11:42

I had only just read this posting (different time zone) and then I refreshed and saw your good news. Excellent news, what a relief, and yes, I think he should be grounded......at least for now for causing you so much worry! smile

threadender Fri 01-Jul-16 03:50:07

You must be so relieved he's home! Cheeky beggar though, thinking he can just eat and head out again, cats have such attitude!

GRW Fri 01-Jul-16 07:23:19

Brilliant, what a relief that he is home.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 01-Jul-16 08:11:42

Grounded until half seven this morning when it was bright and sunny!! Still sitting in the garden though so maybe he has had a bit of a reminder to stay home!! Thanks all

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 01-Jul-16 08:16:25

😻

YAY! I've had one go missing and never found, I still struggle with it sometimes and it was probably about 14 years ago. I am so so so so so pleased for you.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 01-Jul-16 09:40:22

Oh yes I'm sorry yours didn't come home. Judging by the none the worse for wear demeanour of our menace I think someone has been feeding him, so maybe yours just moved in with someone who gave him pricier salmon. I couldn't imagine he could be out there and not hurt/trapped/starving but he genuinely seems utterly fine, like he hasn't been away.

cozietoesie Fri 01-Jul-16 10:00:24

Great. What a relief for you. smile

It's the insouciant air that gets me every time when they return. A sort of 'What's your problem?' grin

DramaAlpaca Fri 01-Jul-16 10:02:10

So glad to hear he's back. If only they could talk - I bet he'd have a few tales to tell!

cozietoesie Fri 01-Jul-16 10:04:11

And now you have to go and reverse/remove all the posters/web messages etc etc. Still - little hardship in the circumstances, I guess. smile

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 01-Jul-16 11:34:43

Done all the web messages and dh is collecting in all his posters this morning! Was so nice to be able to post a happy ending on all the shared posts.

Has anyone come across one of the gps trackers? I want to try it to see where they do go but I'm wary of putting him in a collar, though it would be a release one etc I've never used one at all due to the possible risk..?

cozietoesie Fri 01-Jul-16 11:41:22

I'm pleased for you all. You're right - there are times when a little bit of work is a joy and not a chore. smile

There are some posters who use a GPS tracker for their cats so they may comment - I'm afraid that none of my outside going boys would tolerate a collar so that's a No Go for me on current technology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now