Does the cat dislike the kitten because it is weak?

(10 Posts)
HarHer Mon 27-Jun-16 12:31:57

Hi,

My sister has a resident cat (9 months old) and two small kittens (about 10 weeks old). The kittens are from the same farm as the older cat. She has been careful to introduce the kittens slowly, and the cat seems to warily tolerate one of the kittens. However, the cat seems to hate the other kitten. The kitten the cat targets is the 'runt' of the litter and looks tiny and run down (she has had the all clear from the vet). Could this be why the older cat dislikes her so much? I have seen cats who dislike kittens, but I have never known them actively attack them.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 13:20:27

It could be - in the sense that she's actively picking on the one who looks as if they won't be able to fight back. (Maybe she dislikes them both. sad)

RubbishMantra Mon 27-Jun-16 14:54:25

Are 9 month old resident and picked on kitten both females? Is the tolerated kitten a male?

RubbishMantra Mon 27-Jun-16 14:59:02

*... forgot to ask, is 9 month cat neutered?

HarHer Mon 27-Jun-16 18:45:32

Hello,

Thank you for replying. Yes, one of the little kittens is male (and tolerated), the smallest is female. My sister says that if the felines meet, the cat (who is technically an adolescent ) will sniff the male kitten and then ignore him, but she hisses and lashes out at the poor little female. She tries to keep the cats apart. The male kitten is very active and strong, the little one looks like she is much younger than ten weeks.

The older cat is going to be neutered very soon. Do you think things will settle down after that?

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 19:16:35

They might. Remember to also have the kits neutered just as soon as it's possible, though. You don't need any stray hormones upsetting the mix.

RubbishMantra Tue 28-Jun-16 17:04:21

Or pregnancies. What's the reason for letting the eldest get to 10 months without being neutered?

HarHer Tue 28-Jun-16 17:39:34

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. My sister has anxiety issues and she was worried that something might happen to the cat if she took it for the operation. She has booked an appointment now and we will go along for support.

cozietoesie Tue 28-Jun-16 19:17:20

Good for her and for you all. 🙂

No anaesthetic is completely without risk but you'll see from this guidance that not having it done can carry even more problems. She's doing the right thing.

RubbishMantra Tue 28-Jun-16 19:57:01

I always feel like crapping myself when my cats have to go to the vet, even for vaccs, because I know they'll be upset.

However, they've always come back fighting fit. Pregnancy, FIV and other diseases (IMO) carry much more of a risk.

When Little Monsieur was neutered, (my youngest) came home he leaped out of his carrier, had a munch and a play, then more food. He must have eaten 6 helpings of food that night. Small helpings of liquidised chicken and water, to keep his hydration levels up. The drugs administered had the side effect of making him super hungry and energetic. He eventually came to bed and snuggled under the covers (with some encouragement) and just crashed out. For most of the day. When he woke up, he began humping his "shag bag". grin

You say un-neutered older cat is female? That's probably why she's going for the baby female. Competition. Sooner you can get new kits neutered (and elder cat obv.), best for a harmonious relationship. The longer it's left, the more power-play struggles will come into effect, which are difficult to resolve one they've started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now