Any cat food experts (who also know about Aldi Select Cat Food?)

(17 Posts)
MoonlightMedicine Mon 27-Jun-16 09:20:34

Sorry this is a very niche question I know. I have 2 cats. One underweight moggy and one obese bengal. They both have different problems with food, one thing in common is that dry food gives them the runs. I have tried almost every brand imaginable over the years. So we have settled on wet pouch food. And the ONLY wet food they will eat is Aldi Select. Anything else is ignored and just gets binned.

So I was going with that and my underweight moggy was doing well on it until...Aldi discontinued it and replaced it with a totally different food. So does anybody know if there is anything similar on the market? Or have any other suggestions for how I can help my cats move onto a different wet pouch? Thanks in advance.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 10:48:02

No expert.

Is there any food that you know they really hate that you might use as a 'spoiler'? My own lad really dislikes fishy flavours - apart from tuna in brine which he's not allowed - so to offer him one of those would likely have him diving upon the next meaty pouch - any meaty pouch - with glee.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 27-Jun-16 10:52:37

Are you sure they haven't just re packaged it? They do that a lot.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 11:00:43

I've never used it but I have a vague memory that Fluffy - who did - said that she thought they had actually changed the formulation. (I think she'd been to the small print on the produce.) That's only a vague memory though and I can't remember from when.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 27-Jun-16 11:09:11

I wish my cat would wat Aldi food, it's soooo cheap!

OP the trays are good,have you tried them? High meat content too.

MoonlightMedicine Mon 27-Jun-16 14:29:32

It's definitely a totally different formulation, you can tell by looking and I have them side by side at the moment as I do have a week's supply of the old stuff left over.

I hadn't tried a spoiler before, but they literally won't touch any other wet pouch food (or cans or trays). I mean, they're going to have to or they'll starve, but really gutted to have to go through such an upheaval. Especially for my poor, old moggy who needs to put weight on.

RubbishMantra Mon 27-Jun-16 18:45:22

Have you tried Applaws Dry kitten food for your underweight cat? I know you say that dry food gives them the trots, but Applaws has no grains/cereals.

Funny, but when I adopted my first kitten, the vet recommended Whiskas dry. Their shelves were heaving under the stuff. Naively I took their word as gospel. I bought a sack-full. (he liked it, but kids like McDonalds)

Butchers Classic is a good food for cats that prefer wet, no cereals or other unnecessary stuff added.

Fickle buggers, aren't they.

I wish I had the time and energy to feed my lads raw food.

Sorry I can't give advice re. Aldi food, but avoid anything with a low meat content, with added grains/cereals

MoonlightMedicine Mon 27-Jun-16 18:56:04

Thanks RubbishMantra. They used to have Applaws actually. My problem is my younger (overweight) cat will also eat the food and she needs to lose weight :-/

MoonlightMedicine Mon 27-Jun-16 18:58:17

Whiskas dry was the only dry one mine could tolerate. Until they changed it last year and added cheese-filled nuggets.

I think I'll try Applaws dry again (it's been years) and also get some butchers as I haven't tried that one.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:48:15

Try the pate. All the local cats come in to steal it so it must be ok.

MoonlightMedicine Mon 27-Jun-16 21:19:32

They won't touch pate style stuff either. I've tried. So fussy sad

gobbin Wed 29-Jun-16 11:42:57

Aldi tinned is cereal free too. Perhaps try mashing it a little to change the texture? (It's chunkier than Butchers Classic)

MoonlightMedicine Wed 29-Jun-16 11:55:34

Thank you gobbin, I will try that. I've ordered some Applaws which I am going to gradually mix in with the Aldi pouches I have stockpiled.

I can't seem to find any Butchers cat food anywhere, only dog food.

RueDeDay Wed 29-Jun-16 12:23:53

I have one greedy cat and one skinny cat. I'm in the process of buying a microchip cat feeder... Expensive but will hopefully solve the 'stealing food' problem instantly.

cozietoesie Wed 29-Jun-16 12:57:36

Sainsbury's seem to sell it, Moonlight.

gobbin Wed 29-Jun-16 13:54:29

Moonlight all the major supermarkets def sell Butchers Classic. It comes in packs of 6 or 12 tins wrapped in orange plastic, look for it mid to low shelves.

MoonlightMedicine Wed 29-Jun-16 18:53:46

Oh RueDeDay, I have never heard of one. I fear anything expensive is out of my price range at the moment but I am off to have a look nonetheless.

Cozie - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now