Issue with moving house and cat toileting ...

(6 Posts)
Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 23-Jun-16 11:08:32

Bit of background: Holly & Ivy (10 month old sisters) have never got the hang on toileting in the garden; no matter what I try, they always come in and use their trays instead

I'm moving house in September and thought it might be a good opportunity to change this habit - the place has a nice covered area outside the back door and I hoped to put the trays there right from day one to get them used to a new way of doing things

Thing is, though, aren't they supposed to stay in for a few days after the move? If they do, and use the trays inside, I can see they'll never move to toileting in the garden, but obviously I don't want to risk losing them by letting them out too soon

Please does anyone have thoughts or advice on this?

MaddyHatter Thu 23-Jun-16 11:21:02

you need to keep them in for 2 weeks.

Whats the issue with them using litter trays? If you put them outside, EVERYONE will use them and you will end up with 2 very stressed cats who have territory issues.

Why on earth would you want them going outside? I've never taught mine to toilet outside, i'd rather they came in to use the litter tray, that way i can confidently tell my neighbours their catshit issues are NOTHING to do with my cats.

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 23-Jun-16 11:31:07

Yes, I see what you mean about other cats possibly using the trays if they're outside ... I guess I hoped it would be a stepping stone to them "going" in the garden (which I'm going to fit with cat fencing so that, hopefully, neighbour issues shouldn't arise)

It's just that every other cat I've had massively preferred toileting outside and I'd hoped these might be persuaded to do the same ...

IceMountain Thu 23-Jun-16 11:34:50

Put the litter tray outside?

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 23-Jun-16 11:56:10

Put the litter tray outside?

Yep, tried that ... they simply "go" in the place where it used to be sad

MaddyHatter Thu 23-Jun-16 11:57:41

once you've catfenced, there's no reason you cant try after the 2 weeks if you want, but you'd need to make sure it was very secure, otherwise you'll be a toilet stop for the other cats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now