Please help - FLEAS!

(12 Posts)
FunkeeMunkee1983 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:22:39

Hello all, I adopted a cat from a local rescue centre last year and have been very good about giving him flea treatments etc but recently he came home and started scratching more than usual. Over the past couple of days my three children (who all share a room) have come up with bites and bumps and this afternoon I saw a flea on my son!! How can I get rid of them? Please, please help. I feel so awful sad

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Jun-16 19:25:54

Where do you get your flea treatment from? We only use Advocate from the vet.
Indorex the house.

FunkeeMunkee1983 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:30:33

We have been using Advocate from the vet up until now which is why I was so shocked to see my son coming out in bites. I treat my cat every couple of months

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Jun-16 19:38:51

The Advocate we use is a monthly treatment. What does it say in the instructions?

ElegantDream Mon 20-Jun-16 19:39:28

I think you are supposed to treat every four weeks/ monthly...

FunkeeMunkee1983 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:42:55

oh ok, that's news to me, I was advised by the vet to use it every 6-8 weeks which is what I have been doing and its always been very effective up until now. So I've just ordered Indorex and I shall be talking with the vet first thing in the morning. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process of getting them out before my children get bitten even more?

SJane45S Mon 20-Jun-16 19:43:32

We have 2 cats and live in the country and have had a couple of infestations over the years. Agree it's horrible - makes you feel a bit dirty! They are a pain to great rid of. We've had outbreaks when I've forgotten to give them a Frontline top up. Buy some expensive flea spray (Indorex and Acclaim work - get them off petmeds online rather than the vets. Empty the vacuum and do the whole house top to bottom including sofa's, mattresses etc - everything! Cover your mouth and spray all the floors, under the sofa, sofa cushions etc - everything basically! Get out of the house with windows closed and leave for an hour. Frontline the cats and hope for the best! Usually works 1st time but you may need to do the sprays twice. You'll probably get through a couple of cans!

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Jun-16 19:43:49

Hoover lots. Keep cat out of bedrooms.
The Advocate should come in a box with full instructions. What do they say?

Indaba Mon 20-Jun-16 19:44:01

No flea treatment is 100% effective. If its a bad infestation you will need to treat the house too, especially areas where cat hangs out a lot. Otherwise they will keep hopping on and off the cat.

ElegantDream Mon 20-Jun-16 19:46:15

Just be careful how you use the Indorex. The main ingredient is really poisonous to cats.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 20-Jun-16 19:51:04

Make sure that when you Hoover, you do the edges of the room thoroughly.

pnutter Mon 20-Jun-16 20:37:15

Indorex is the thing. Hoover loads. Treat all the places cat sleeps / sits/ beds/ edges of rooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now