Favorite Hiding places

(19 Posts)
Allergictoironing Sat 18-Jun-16 17:34:03

Partially inspired by the "This isn't what I ordered" thread, and partially from discovering where it was my boy hides, lets hear about unusual hiding places for our precious masters and mistresses cats.

We all know about when they try to squeeze into boxes that are far too small, and my girl often tries to get into the very small cat cave on the tree - she ends up with head and bum sticking out of the doorways.

But my boy, who is much shyer, prefers behind the sofa. He did have a habit of squeezing under the recliner (only part with more than half an inch height), but today he vanished completely & clearly wasn't under there. Then I worked it out - there was a suspicious bulge in the back of the sofa itself. The backs of the non-recliner sections of the sofa are like flaps that Velcro at the bottom, and he's somehow squeezed himself between the flap and the frame! shock grin

Sort of my fault he went there - he's awfully untidy with the litter tray & had walked it everywhere round the room, and I got the small hand vacuum cleaner out. I do that every weekend, but he clearly hasn't got used to it yet & today panicked completely when I turned it on sad. I do hope he can get himself out OK, otherwise he will panic even more if I have to move it away from the wall to help him out.

gamerchick Sat 18-Jun-16 17:39:50

I think I would move it to try and put him off that spot. I killed a mouse once when sitting on the settee because it had wedged itself. Cats are a bit bigger though so hopefully you would know grin

Mine has a hidey hole in the house somewhere and can I hell find out where.

TroysMammy Sat 18-Jun-16 17:48:12

I had a cat who would hide somewhere in the house. I would call his name, look under beds, in wardrobes, in laundry baskets, you name it, I looked. I would go downstairs to look, nothing and when I went back upstairs, there he would be, sitting on the landing. I never found where he would hide. RIP O'Malley Hide and Seek Champion 1994-2010 grin

Allergictoironing Sat 18-Jun-16 20:53:26

The slant to the back of the sofa & it's general construction mean he couldn't be squashed there (plus that bit of the sofa houses my crap & nobody ever sits there, I mean EVER) - unlike when he used to go under the recliner which meant no using it in case of crushing.

He's still very nervous, so I'd hate to take away the place he feels safest in - ex-feral, saw the inside of a house for the first time less than a month ago.

cozietoesie Sat 18-Jun-16 20:59:38

We never found it. grin

gamerchick Sat 18-Jun-16 21:01:48

Ah well if there's no danger then just let him crack on.

Allergictoironing Sat 18-Jun-16 22:50:40

Definitely no danger, I'm paranoid about making sure they are as safe as possible in every way. Having waited all these years for cats, I'm not taking any risks ever with my 2 babies.

I bought that particular (rather expensive) sofa specifically because the perfect support it gave my bad back when I used the recliner - cue 2 weeks of pain due to not being able to use said recliner JUST in case Linton had gone under there when I wasn't looking. Eventually I managed to put it into semi-recliner mode while he was eating, and I haven't dared put it back to chair mode again just in case grin

RubbishMantra Sat 18-Jun-16 23:14:39

Under my chest of drawers, when MCat's bullying him. He puts his head at a slant, so his massive bat-like ears don't get in the way, then flattens himself out like roadkill, until the last thing you see are 2 splayed out curly frog's legs, sliding underneath.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 22-Jun-16 12:54:09

One of mine hid for a week under the kitchen units when I first adopted her. I was really worried about where she had gone, then discovered a gap between the cupboard and the wall. Saw two large green eyes staring at me. Felt guilty for bonding with her sister and not her but when she came out she was definitely the alpha cat!

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jun-16 12:58:11

She let her sister discover any pitfalls about the new environment and sat watching? Sounds like canny alpha behaviour to me. wink

Toddlerteaplease Wed 22-Jun-16 13:43:58

Ha ha probably right. I was pre warned by the foster carer that she would hide and to make the most of her sister while I had the chance. Glad I was pre warned or I'd have been worried sick.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jun-16 15:05:35

We're having a new kitchen and the cupboards are under tarpaulins in the garden and it now appears to be Harry's favourite hiding place! I've no idea where's he'll go when the kitchen is finished!

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jun-16 18:10:39

He'll go under the tarpaulin that you leave around especially for him of course! grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jun-16 18:28:44

Would that be similar to leaving the bath mat down all the time as he likes to sit on it?!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:52:20

Yes, but more unsightly and harder to explain to visitors.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jun-16 19:47:31

I'm sure the neighbours think we're related to Steptoe and Son so they probably wouldn't be surprised! We had some trees cut down a few weeks ago and, for the first time living memory, they can see in our garden. Unfortunately there has been piles of rubbish covered by tarpaulins, old cupboards and worktop there ever since! We normally keep the garden tidy but they don't know that...

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jun-16 20:51:13

And if it's not bad enough that they think we are the Steptoes, they probably now think DH is a peeping tom! There was a blackbird huddled on the roof of one of the garages that separates our house from them. He'd been there for ages so we were worried he might get caught by a cat as the garage roofs are prime cat hunting ground (apart from Harry, he doesn't do heights!). DH, being the softy he is, got a ladder check on him, climbed up and the bird flew away! I'm just hoping he wasn't spotted!

cozietoesie Wed 22-Jun-16 20:57:00

Pink

Why not just give them the full dozen? Run around the garden in your nightie at the next full moon! grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jun-16 21:08:22

I don't think anything would surprise them now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now