Cats and babies

(7 Posts)
ElectronicDischarge Tue 14-Jun-16 17:04:35

Being a softy, I've adopted an abandoned cat. Roughly 5 or 6 years old. She's incredibly affectionate.
I have a 9 month old who obviously thinks the cat is the best thing in the world.
So far, she tolerates baby quite well, although has swatted once. What's the best way to get the two together,iyswim?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Jun-16 17:33:31

Keeping them apart is better. The cat has no idea swatting babies is a no no.

Luckily babies grow fast and can learn to be gentle but for now I'd keep them apart. The cat will still be the best thing ever when she's older.

It's incredibly good of you to take the cat in, so many get abandoned and starve.

ElectronicDischarge Tue 14-Jun-16 18:24:31

She's very understanding of the baby. Generally tolerates a poke or guided stroke,then hides behind the sofa when she's had enough.

She was abandoned by people who packed up their dog and left her. She's such a sweetheart, it's unbelievable.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:25:48

Poor thing. What vile people.

ElectronicDischarge Tue 14-Jun-16 19:21:44

She's the most loving cat I've ever come across. Just can't understand their mentality

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Jun-16 19:27:01

There's a myth that cats can fend for themselves but lots are quite inept at it.

If their mums don't teach them to hunt they just don't know.

elephantcustard Tue 14-Jun-16 19:28:05

Awww lucky cat to have you! I have had cats and babies over the years....cat will stay out of way of grabby little hands and a toddler (obvs not baby) will understand the link between pulling a tail and getting a swipe wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now