Any ideas what's going on with my cat?

(18 Posts)
ClassicMonkey Fri 10-Jun-16 08:22:25

I've got a 10 month old unneutered male cat. We live in a flat so he an indoor cat.
He's always been a very confident and curious cat. He's been into everything since day one.
I have a small balcony, it's just big enough for a chair. He's always been allowed on there when i'm sitting out there.
He's always seemed to enjoy just hanging out there.
Recently though he's become super skittish while he's out there. To the point where even if the door is open he'll run into the bedroom and hide in the bed.
I'm finding it a bit upsetting, I don't know what's caused this so I don't really know how to fix it.
Any ideas?

cozietoesie Fri 10-Jun-16 09:17:32

There might be smells of some sort coming to him when he goes out or something - difficult to tell with hormones probably coursing through him and stirring him up. Have him neutered first and see what he's like when that's settled down?

littlemonkey5 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:26:57

He is coming into what I call the 'teenage stage' which can last up until they are about 2. This is where their behaviour becomes a bit skittish and irrational, especially when the sun is setting. Our kittens have got to about 7pm in the summer and blasted round the house at top speed for no reason, then an hour or so later - nothing!

We've neutered as early as 13 weeks and we've not had one issue (roughly neutered 30 kittens) and it has really helped. It will also help if they go missing as they are less likely to get into scraps with other males. When stressed and not neutered, it is very common for the cat to spray EVERYWHERE and constantly. If this happens, soak the area in bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar. The smell of vinegar fades to nothing in about 24hrs once it has dried.....it's a bit of a miracle actually. He will also be at high risk of a UTI too.

If he decides not to want to go out on the balcony again, don't force him or be worried, cats are complex animals, it won't harm him never to go out there tbh.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:58:48

Why isn't he neutered yet?

ClassicMonkey Mon 13-Jun-16 12:07:27

He's not been neutered because it's not caused any issues. If I was to move house or something like that I would get it done but right now it's not something that's an issue.
Friday night was super warm and he went on the balcony on his own and theb there were cats fighting outside and he came running back in so I think that may be the issue

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 12:39:01

I'd get him neutered immediately. The 'skittish' behaviour you mentioned could well be hormones coursing through him and if that continues, he could start spraying around the place if the sounds of other cats are unsettling him and he can't get out to 'deal with them'.

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 12:49:30

You may find this guidance interesting.

RubbishMantra Mon 13-Jun-16 13:31:46

I would get him neutered. If he gets a sniff of a female in heat, he may well jump off the balcony in hot pursuit.

ClassicMonkey Mon 13-Jun-16 17:34:57

Rubbish There's no way at all of him getting off the balcony. If there was I would definitely not let him out there.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 13-Jun-16 17:46:22

Would it be a dent in your finances to neuter?. It calms them right down.

I wanted to get Dh done but he's not going for it.

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 17:54:44

Classic

Once they reach a certain age, unneutered, their hormones are pretty well sending a very simple message to them. 'Feed, Fight and Fraternise'. And while females might actually have periods of coming into heat, unneutered toms are pretty well always raring to go.

You may give him food but there's nothing you can do about the other two Fs - so not neutering him and keeping him inside but still aware of the outside will likely set up all sorts of tensions within him.

For example - are you so certain that he hasn't started spraying yet? It's not always so easy to tell if they're young and you don't catch them in the act.

lavenderdoilly Mon 13-Jun-16 17:57:15

Please neuter him. He may be driven crazy by outside smells , especially other cats. Play with him loads. Check out jackson galaxy (us cat behaviourist ) on YouTube.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 13-Jun-16 17:57:54

Apart from the good advice already, is there only me wondering if he's being terrorised by a large bird(s)? Is that likely?

ClassicMonkey Mon 13-Jun-16 18:08:50

sponge no chance of birds. Nothing can get on or off the balcony. From the cat's height you can't see off the balcony and nothing flying overhead would be able to see the cat if that makes sense.

I'm sure there's been no spraying. I just don't see the point in neutering as there's no problematic behaviour. I'm not convinced that it would solve this problem either.

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 18:13:37

Ah well.

lavenderdoilly Mon 13-Jun-16 18:13:56

Neutering makes a huge positive difference to an indoor cat. As hormones kick in, he just wants to spread his genetic material and mark his territory. Chat to your vet.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 13-Jun-16 18:16:23

You'll end up with problems later if you don't get him done, they're much happier cats when they're done. It's 40 wood at our vet's and they are in and out in a day so it's super quick.

FannyFifer Mon 13-Jun-16 18:18:20

Jeezo I would never consider having an indoor male cat that wasn't neutered.
He will be loads more settled when done, he will absolutely start spraying in your house, may have already as u don't always notice at first, visitors will start noticing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now