Cat repeatedly pissing on bed and sofa

(16 Posts)
Quodlibet Tue 07-Jun-16 21:12:17

I am at my wit's end - we are nearing the point where both sofa and bed are going to have to be replaced.

What is odd is that she also sleeps on both. I think she is stressed at the moment as we have major building works on, but she has garden access and until recently we didn't need and indoor litter tray, she would go outside for everything.

We are currently on about round 5 of trying to rescue the sofa with that cat piss enzyme spray.

WTF can we do???

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 07-Jun-16 21:15:03

Have you tried a Feliway plug in or spray? Spongecat was quite stressed when the builders were in.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-Jun-16 21:41:31

The stress can spark urine infections, it does in ours and he needed antibiotics.

Unknown to us he was in pain and trying to tell us.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 08-Jun-16 15:08:13

One of my rescue cats did this when I first got her. Though she was also using the litter tray. The rescue I got her from were very suprised S their foster carer had had no issues. I wasn't sure if it was territory marking or stress. ( until she did mark once and it stank) I used puppy pads everywhere but was told that they might be encouraging it so I got some waterproof fabric cot sheets and put them on the sofa instead. Never had to test them as it just stopped. I tried every repellant spray going and they didn't work. Once I doubled the amount of litter in the tray it stopped overnight. Not sure if this was the cause or that she had realised she had a home for life. I am lucky. I have removable washable covers but it is incredibly stressful.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 08-Jun-16 15:08:36

I tried feliway. Didn't make a difference.

Quodlibet Wed 08-Jun-16 16:45:05

Thanks for these ideas. I think it is stress related as she has done it a couple of times before when we've gone away for a couple of days, or when we come back. At the moment it's a nightmare as builders are ripping the house apart, plus we are away/out/have different routines and it is clearly very stressful. Unfortunately we can't remove the causes of stress at the moment so it's damage limitation.

I think I will get some waterproof sheets for the bed and for under the sofa covers. I've ordered a Feliway (didn't realise ours had run out) and we are reinstating the litter tray.

Will also try to prioritise spending time with the cat in the evenings as she is clearly desperate for attention and not a happy thing.

NotYoda Wed 08-Jun-16 19:51:53

Do take her to the vet as well.Cats get urine infections too!

CornishTea Wed 08-Jun-16 19:56:17

Mine gets Cystitis when stressed.

We rescued her 8 weeks ago.

She had it all the time in her previous home as she was scared of the new puppy they got.

Wees every 10 mins, blood in urine, unable to wee/weeing too much.

Shes settled in here now and we havnt had an episode in 6 weeks.

EvansAndThePrince Wed 08-Jun-16 20:48:00

Definitely see if she needs treated, our cat got stressed recently and we lost him, his bladder was full of crystals and he was beyond help.

Quodlibet Wed 08-Jun-16 23:40:10

I don't think she is weeing more than normal. She used the reinstated litter tray tonight and has been relaxed and happy hanging out with us. I think we are guilty of not prioritising the cat as we've been so busy and have so much going on but she is actually quite a needy thing and needs some attention and fuss to remain calm. I'm used to more independent cats I think!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 09-Jun-16 06:46:50

The only symptom mine showed was weeing in the house. No straining, no blood, no sign he was in pain at all.

Cystease capsules are good for prevention and work well with zylkene capsules. They are available without prescription and you mix the powder into their food.

NotYoda Thu 09-Jun-16 06:54:44

Sorry to be blunt, but some of us have had stressed cats, and ill cats, and can't tell the difference. You should still take there to the vet

NotYoda Thu 09-Jun-16 06:54:58

her

CornishTea Thu 09-Jun-16 07:27:32

Also get her a cardboard box with a blanket in like a little den, ours still likes to snuggle in and watch us walking by, its her safe place in her new environment.

A local rescue centre wouldnt let us have a cat from them as we were having work done on the house.

CornishTea Thu 09-Jun-16 07:34:27

I wonder if she was to scared to go out for a wee due to building works?

Its good that you reinstated the litter tray, last night.
I would keep her in until the work has finished in case she runs off.

Quodlibet Thu 09-Jun-16 10:03:27

I will do cardboard box, thanks for that suggestion. And will book vet visit in.

It's really not safe for her inside during the day - they are converting the loft and if she went up the new unfinished stairs there are all sorts of places she could get stuck. They also leave the front door onto the main road open a lot. So we are having to lock her in the back garden.
The back garden is also not her favourite place at the moment as there is clearly a turf war going on with neighbour's cats in recent months. I think this was the catalyst for the stress weeing and the building work has exacerbated the situation.

Building work should be done in 2-3 weeks, but it's a matter of finding a copeable solution in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now