Harry and his teeth, the saga continues

(14 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 07-Jun-16 10:38:18

I took Harry for his jabs yesterday and the vet gave him a thorough once over and all is well - apart from his teeth. She had a good look and his gums are inflamed again and he already has tartar on his teeth despite a dental in January. He lost 12 teeth then so I'm resigned to the fact he'll be losing a few more.

Because of all the anaesthetic he's had this year (2 GAs and 4 sedations in 3 months) she doesn't want to do the dental yet. We're to keep an eye on him and if he has trouble eating or his breath gets worse we're to take him straight back. If he carries on as he is we're to take him back in December for a check up and review him again. She's certain he will need another dental within 12 months though.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can help him? The vet doesn't think cat toothpaste would be right for him because of his temperament and he can't manage the size of the kibble in dental biscuits so I'm at a bit of a loss. At the moment he has James Wellbeloved dry food for breakfast, lunch and supper (he doesn't have a problem with the biscuits) and a pouch of either Wainwrights, Natures Menu or James Wellbeloved for dinner (I might drop the JW when he's finished the pouches we've got as it contains xylose which appears to be a type of sugar).

Sorry for the essay but I'm worried about my poor little man and want to make sure I'm doing my best for him.

cozietoesie Tue 07-Jun-16 12:00:34

Oh I think you're doing all you can. Poor lad.

Given his history, I'd be inclined to have the lot out if he has to go back for surgery - and you suggest he will. Right now, teeth being his nemesis it seems, I'd personally be inclined to just treat with ABs until that time. Did she give him anything at his last visit?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 07-Jun-16 12:12:52

Thanks cozie.

I was thinking it might be worth having the lot out. He wasn't given any ABs this time, it's just a case of watch him and see what happens. At least I know what to look out for now and he's back to the vet at the slightest issue. I think she was wary about ABs as well as he's also had a lot of them this year!

I did puff up when I was told his weight was OK though, I'm used to being told he needs to lose a bit! He has lost since before his broken jaw but nothing to worry about. The vet was so sweet with him and he got a cuddle and a kiss on the head before he went back in his carrier!

RubbishMantra Sat 11-Jun-16 22:51:46

Have you tried Logic Toothpaste Pink?

Mcat has tartar build up, and has to go for a dental in a month. The toothpaste (malt flavour) doesn't appeal to him, (I have to smear it around his gums) but Little Monsieur licks it off my fingers, and then asks for more.

I think I got mine from vetuk

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 12-Jun-16 17:38:39

Thanks Rubbish, I'll have a look at that. I know there's no way I'll be allowed to touch his gums (not because they are sore, just because he won't let me!) and he doesn't like treats (unlike me, I wish I had his willpower!) but I'll give it a go.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 12-Jun-16 17:43:24

I spread it on our cats paw when I remember. Sometimes he lies on the bed and smears it everywhere.

RubbishMantra Sun 12-Jun-16 21:29:57

Well I just got a delivery of this Cat Soup, that somebody mentioned in another thread.

I'll let you know what MCat thinks of it, and check if it's a supplementary or complete food.

I also read on another thread that Butchers Classic has an ingredient that's good for their teeth.

I don't know why MCat's teeth are so tartar bound. DDDH fed him Go-Cat and Whiskas for the first 2 years of his life (with MCat supplementing his diet with the local wildlife), but when we all moved in together, MCat's diet (and DH's!) had a serious overhaul.

Maybe some cats are more prone than others?

cozietoesie Sun 12-Jun-16 21:49:40

I have a feeling that they are, Mantra - shape of mouth/layout of teeth/eating action etc etc. One of the vets who post might be better placed to comment on that, though.

PS - I was not enamoured of the soup by the way. Good luck to the lads in trying it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 13-Jun-16 08:51:42

I got the impression from our vet that Harry is just unlucky and is prone to teeth problems. I went through his diet with her and she was happy with that so I don't think there's anything else I can do. I'll give the toothpaste a try but I'm resigned to the fact there will be another dental and he'll probably lose the rest of his teeth.

It does upset me that he has to go through that and sometimes I look at him and think I've failed him. If I'd taken him to the vet sooner would his jaw have been OK? He had smelly breath but the vet (not the one we see now) told me it was OK and 'just cat breath'. Looking back now I know that it wasn't so maybe I should have pushed for a dental then.

Sorry, I don't mean to waffle on!

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 09:18:21

Gosh - you're not 'waffling'. smile

I don't think you have a single thing to call yourself out for. Your vet told you that his teeth were OK and cats' mouths are notoriously difficult to see the truth of. I'm just very 'tooth sensitive' and I tend to assume that a cat of his age will have dental issues. (Perhaps that's too pessimistic but look at humans of your acquaintance - they probably brush regularly but how many of them still have to attend the dentist for tooth work at a much younger comparable age? Teeth just haven't been designed by nature to function well in such older animals, I reckon.)

I wouldn't worry about having to have the rest out either, if the vet has reasonable confidence in getting him through the GA. You would then be able to relax a bit and let him enjoy his sunset years without that particular pain and/or discomfort. (I actually worry more about the teeth that Seniorboy had 'left behind' than the ones that were taken out those years back. He's too old now for the vet to contemplate, realistically, any sort of GA so if one of those went West, we'd just have to live with it. Not fun.)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 13-Jun-16 09:51:55

Thanks cozie. He's my first cat as although we had cats when I was at home, DM was responsible for them. You're right about humans, a few people in my family have lost teeth at an early comparible age!

I definitely want to get the teeth sorted out sooner rather than later, although I can see why the vet wants to wait due to the amount of GA and sedation he's had. I'm confident he will be OK, as he's only around 11 and that's another reason I don't want to wait too long. My one problem is my vet is probably going to be leaving but I'm not supposed to know. I would be more comfortable with her doing the procedure but hopefully her replacement will be as nice, and there is a vet at another branch who I trust.

I just want to do what's best for him.

cozietoesie Mon 13-Jun-16 10:00:45

Talk it through thoroughly with your vet - old or new. They're likely the ones that would be doing any op after all and they'll have all his history.

Seniorboy had a big dental at 16 by the way - but his then (and current) practice dealt a lot with older animals and expressed fair confidence that they could get him through the GA. I just wouldn't ask any vet to give him a GA at his current age and with a dicky heart. (And I reckon they'd - quite rightly - refuse to do it, anyway.)

11 is just a stripling to me. smile

RubbishMantra Wed 15-Jun-16 23:49:20

Cat soup is literally a dessert spoon of liquid, with a few strands of chicken, or a shrimp piece or two. And it is just a supplement. Maybe useful for a poorly cat, who's gone off their food?

And 90p for 40g?!" More expensive than a sirloin steak, ounce for ounce!

cozietoesie Thu 16-Jun-16 07:31:02

The price is quite breathtaking for what you get, Yes.

I might still be buying the odd one if Seniorboy was enamoured of them but he really didn't care for them much. If at all.

Some sirloin steak (very rare) chopped up with lots of juices though? That's a fortnightly treat for him. (We get the leftovers. grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now