And then there were 3!

(14 Posts)
Mouseinahole Thu 02-Jun-16 08:01:59

Just to let you know that , following the very successful introduction of Colin (13 weeks) and Trevor (7months) I gave into my desire for an Oriental kitten and acquired 15 week old Mavis, a Thai/Korat. We got her home on Tuesday and it has been a nightmare! Mavis loves people and hates cats. She is tiny though younger than Colin she is smaller. She hisses, spits and growls all the time and the boys just hide under the sofa! She loves children and enjoyed playing with my grandchildren yesterday. Trevor and Colin are more wary of people though C did come and play, he is a very confident kitten.
I feel so sorry for them. We love them all so much and this is my ideal cat family, two BSH boys and an Oriental girl. We keep her separate overnight so they can all relax and give C and T as much fuss as we can when they will come to us. M loves to sit on my lap and spit at them! I want my lovely cuddly kittens back 🙁 Any advice?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:54:08

I did wonder if Mavis might be a bit of an alpha cat being an oriental.

It's very early days so I'd seperate them and swap the bedding over so they can get used to each other's smells.

YouTube has lots of videos on introducing kittens.

cozietoesie Thu 02-Jun-16 10:02:53

Very early days indeed. Did she come from a household with other cats?

Mouseinahole Thu 02-Jun-16 10:24:18

No, there was her mother, an older sister and her siblings. It must be very strange for her.
She is happy with us and with other people it's the other two who are scared! I think the aggression is just anxiety really, poor little girl. We do the bedding thing and keep meetings short. I have a Feliway plugged in. I hope it works out, she really acts like Queen of all she surveys!

cozietoesie Thu 02-Jun-16 10:29:50

I know that well. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:12:46

I suspect the hierarchy will be

Mavis
Colin
Trevor
Mouse & mouses Dh.

Madbengalmum Thu 02-Jun-16 11:43:25

Love your names!

Mouseinahole Thu 02-Jun-16 17:31:50

Fluffy do you know us? I think you are exactly right!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:35:48

grin

Mouseinahole Sat 04-Jun-16 17:33:50

We have a degree of progress with Colin and Mavis but Trevor is still being rather wimpish!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 04-Jun-16 17:43:29

I wasn't expecting that, hopefully he will man up a bit.

cozietoesie Sat 04-Jun-16 17:48:16

He's only recently been moved from his mother, I think? That could result in him being more deferential to female bad temper I reckon.

Mouseinahole Sun 05-Jun-16 08:35:42

Trevor is the oldest! It is Colin who has just left his mum. Report, yesterday I went to Pets at Home and bought their own brand calming spray. It had a remarkable effect especially on Colin who is doing the feline equivalent of,"Peace Man" and ignoring Mavis completely most of the time although they have been within a couple of feet of one another without incident.
Trevor is out from under the sofa and is doing his own thing regardless of the two little kittens though he does circle warily round Mavis. Mavis is like a whirling dervish up the curtains, on the table leaping and twirling then sleeping on my lap. I think we are getting there.

cozietoesie Sun 05-Jun-16 09:51:05

Ah right. Trevor isn't a confrontational type then.grin

Poor fellow. Imagine having one or two kits tearing around the place when all you want is a snooze. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now