Genuinely pet friendly weed killer?

(8 Posts)
Iwouldratherbemuckingout Tue 31-May-16 22:48:14

Just wondered if the pet friendly weed killers are actually that? I've got some serious weeding between paving stones to do, am very reluctant to use any products but thought I would ask the wise MN collective if I was being too risk averse?

Mycatsabastard Tue 31-May-16 22:55:00

Soda chrystals dissolved in hot water poured over kills the weeds.

I'm not sure how that will be with cats but could rinse after and that should get rid of it.

Choceeclair123 Tue 31-May-16 23:40:30

I've recently heard that boiling water or vinegar works but not tried yet.

RubbishMantra Tue 31-May-16 23:59:00

I do mine at cat's bedtime, (8pm-ish) and keep the lads in for 20hrs. Same with any aphid/fungi killers. Also with plant feed.

Then get a weed scraper to get rid of dead weeds amongst the flagstones, then bag it up.

TheVillageTaxpayer Wed 01-Jun-16 00:10:27

Vinegar. Boiling water.

Or just pull the weeds by hand and pack sand in between the paving stones.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Wed 01-Jun-16 02:02:31

Thanks - not heard of vinegar or boiling water. Is that vinegar in boiling water?

The intention was to pull them by hand, but there's quite a lot and don't have the hours necessary to get on top of it

TheVillageTaxpayer Wed 01-Jun-16 16:51:37

I have used white vinegar alone in a spray bottle. The plants don't die as quickly as they do when you use a harsh commercial pesticide, but they do eventually wither. Salt water works too, though not as eco- and pet-friendly. I would try boiling water first.

If you have a bit of time you can cover the weedy areas with newspaper, cardboard, black bin bags and other materials that will block light and water. In a week or so the plants should be dead enough to make short work of pulling them out or raking/brooming them away.

good luck!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:09:58

Salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now