We already have insurance for toots but our local vets offer a paw plan scheme

You pay around £5 a month and it pays for
12 worming and fleaing treatments
Health check twice a year
Annual booster vaccinations

10% off treatment is also included.

Yay or nay?

cozietoesie Tue 31-May-16 15:20:24

I think that most vet practices offer this and it's generally at or slightly below cost. For me, No, because my own lad has a different periodicity for the various treatments, but for others, it could be a good idea.

cozietoesie Tue 31-May-16 15:24:18

Actually, thinking about it, £60 a year is pretty well the cost of two proper vet consultations alone at my own practice. (And I'm a believer in going there regularly although I know that not everyone is.)

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 31-May-16 15:24:41

I'm pretty sure I spend more than £60 on the vaccinations and worm/flea treatments a year, so from that pov yes, definitely. The only thing I would be wary of would be them looking for things at the health checks with which to claw back the savings (eg telling you the cat needs a dental much earlier than necessary). I think, if you're prepared for that and able to say no then I'd go for it (after checking if you are actually saving money on what you get).

cozietoesie Tue 31-May-16 15:31:01

Are you sure that that fiver a month is right?

Thurlow Tue 31-May-16 15:44:24

Ours is £9 a month for the same scheme. This includes flea and worming treatments, twice yearly check ups (quarterly in the first year you have them), vaccinations, cost price on the expensive food, and 10% off most treatments, including spaying and dental treatment. We got it mainly because our rescue needed to be spayed, so it pretty much paid for itself instantly.

NeedACleverNN Tue 31-May-16 15:48:25

Yep £5 a a month grin

It's a budget vets which is one concern for me. They use cheaper medication which they openly admit to

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 31-May-16 16:42:45

I would be asking which vaccines are used they are not all the same, which flea and worm products are used again they are not all the same.
In my practice the scheme is £12 per month, but we use the most up to date vaccine with fewest vaccine reactions. We use the most effective flea and worm treatments and regularly review when a new product enters the market. There is s new flea and tick product coming that is very exciting and we will almost certainly move to it.

NeedACleverNN Tue 31-May-16 16:45:05

I'll probably ask that actually.

I like to use panacur for worming and advantage for flea'ing. Don't like frontline.

My chihuahua had a massive allergic reaction to her jabs with that vet too

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 31-May-16 16:59:53

Things to consider pans it doesn't cover all the worms and is a relatively cheap fairly old wormer.
Advantage is great for fleas it gives you no tick cover and has no environmental control of fleas.
A single animal single reaction to a vaccination occurs and does not necessarily indicate and ongoing problem. I would be thinking about strains of virus covered, for cats is it the newest calicvirus strains, what technology does the vaccine employ as the mode of delivery.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 31-May-16 17:00:21

Sorry spell check pans it is actually panacur.

cozietoesie Tue 31-May-16 17:07:27

A fiver a month just seems unrealistically cheap to me - even though I know you'll get some 'wastage' in terms of services not taken up by clients.

NeedACleverNN Tue 31-May-16 17:07:30

Ah ok thank youn

Toddlerteaplease Tue 31-May-16 17:45:55

My vets Is a cheaper company but they are excellent but they still charge £9.99 a month. £5 is a bit cheap. I thought about this type of thing last week when I went for vaccinations. But decided that as mine are indoor and healthy it wasn't worth it. They are insured though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now