Cat in the cradle?!

(4 Posts)
TheABC Wed 25-May-16 11:58:42

I have a week - old DD, with all the usual equipment that entails.

Out of my two cat, my eight year old tabby stays away from the baby as it is obviously a plot to deafen and annoy him (especially after suffering through DS'S screams previously). My eight month old maine coon on the other hand can't get enough of the baby - he is magically attracted to the cot, cradle, clothes; even the changing mat! We have to shut him downstairs at night to prevent him cuddling up to the baby in the crib.

Is this normal behaviour? And will he eventually lose interest?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 25-May-16 13:42:54

Some cars love children others hate them. My beautiful moggy girl adored DD from the first moment. I had to keep the bedroom door shut till DD could roll over. Once DD was able to move I gave up keeping them apart and the moggy slept with DD every night for 9 years. DD couldn't be apart from her and her ashes are in a box in DD's room.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 25-May-16 14:06:19

congratulations on your baby. The cats obviously claimed her as his new favourite person in the world.

RubbishMantra Wed 25-May-16 16:48:33

I think it is normal behaviour. Sadly, it's where those horrible "old wives tales" come from about cats smothering babies on purpose.

They like the warmth of the baby's breath, and you have a new addition to your "pride", so kitten is looking after younger (in his eyes) kitten.

And yes, new baby is something else for him to be curious about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now