Cat coughing, is she asthmatic?

(4 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Sun 22-May-16 15:01:11

One of my cats has coughing fits nirmally about once a day. She sounds like she's about to cough up a hair ball but never does. It's lasts about a minute and then she's back to purring quite happily but I can hear her swallowing quite frequently for a while afterwards. She did it in front of a vet who didn't seem overly concerned about it. Since having surgery to widen her nose she's not distressed by it. (Before that it was awful to watch her cough and try and breath as well). She's otherwise completely well. Videos of cats having asthma Attacks on YouTube are the same as what she does. But I've never heard a wheeze.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 22-May-16 15:02:00

Ps my house has laminate floor and low pile carpets. Her litter is faulty low dust.

MsMims Sun 22-May-16 17:27:21

I'd try another vet.

A cough can also be a sign of heart disease, but my asthmatic cat rarely wheezes, and only at night.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 22-May-16 17:31:30

It was't my regular vet that saw it I'm glad to say. She does tend to only do it a night now I think about it, it always wakes me up. She's due her boosters soon so I will mention it then. She's always had issues with breathing as she's a Persian and has a tiny weeny nose but having it widened has transformed her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now