Wet cat food in gravy for fussy cat?

(11 Posts)
YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 10:17:04

We have a rehomed Turkish Angora who we got 18 months ago. The estimated age given to us by the vet was 4-6 years.

She will only eat certain foods and is very fussy. We have managed to get her onto a decent quality dry food (Porta 21 cats heaven) but not having much luck with wet pouches.

She will eat gourmet perle Mon petit or Sheena gravy pouches but we were concerned that these are not that healthy. She will also eat the Aldi Vita Cat premium but again only in gravy, however they seem to have stopped stocking this.

Does anyone know if Aldi premium is any better than the Sheena/gourmet stuff? Or anything that looks and smells similar to these which isn't massively unhealthy?

We've tried various from zooplus including animonda carne but still no joy as she only seems to like brown meat gravy based cat food (pink is different somehow!)

Arfarfanarf Wed 18-May-16 10:18:57

have you tried james wellbeloved?

I'm told that's a good choice.

Arfarfanarf Wed 18-May-16 10:22:21

I should say though that my cat hates it. The only wet food she will eat is bloody sheba hmm I have tried every good wet food I can get hold of and she won't touch any of them. Raw diet - nope. She just wants the feline equivalent of a ruddy big mac.

but since she is mainly fed on what I am told is a good dry food (the wellbeloved - we switched from hills because I have been told this one is better) and only has the wet as her little treat - that and those horrible cat yoghurts, I am ok with her having a bit of rubbish now and again.

Is your cat mainly wet or dry or mixed?

Arfarfanarf Wed 18-May-16 10:31:06

oh, also wanted to say - I am no expert. I am myself constantly trying to find the best food for my cat and looking through lots of info and trying different brands and finding out that what I thought was good is not!

gamerchick Wed 18-May-16 10:34:20

Mine goes mad for asdas encore crab in gravy atm. I have to change every month or she gets bored. Mine only likes gravy as well.

YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 10:34:48

Thanks for the quick replies!

Bella only eats a minimal amount, about a tablespoon of dry (although we put down more than this) and probably a quarter to a half pouch of any food that she will accept. We swap this morning and evening so she hasn't got stale food. I don't know if her lack of appetite is age related or due to her being a house cat. We give her both dry and wet twice a day so she eats something!

She sees the vet regularly and has had her weight etc checked so the lack of appetite isn't sickness related. She has no problem eating cat yoghurt when being groomed and will readily accept dreamies as a treat.

gamerchick Wed 18-May-16 10:37:00

Maybe just try feeding her once a day rather than twice? I leave out dried but she gets one pouch on an evening and that's it. Anything else is just a waste.

YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 10:40:00

True, I think we've spoilt her tbh as she had more than one 'home' before we got her and would spend whole days hiding in her box. She also cries if she thinks she hasn't been fed so is good at getting her own way. I know this is ridiculous and I wouldn't accept it from a child but how can you say no to this....

Arfarfanarf Wed 18-May-16 10:43:03

aww, how sweet.

gamerchick Wed 18-May-16 10:48:32

She's cute grin

I'm mean, she's always got dried down so there's food always there but if she doesn't eat her wet it's taken away and given more the next evening. I've never known her to miss more than one night. She prefers to whinge to the husband because he's a soft touch and gives her treats which she would live on if allowed.

YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 11:01:22

I think I'll ask DP to pick up a couple of the single James well beloved pouches. You can tell on the first pouch if she'll accept it or not. Even Lily's expensive kitchen is unacceptable to her after I stupidly bought a multipack! At least the local cat charity got a treat that week hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now