can anyone please give me some advice re: poo

(27 Posts)
hilbil21 Thu 12-May-16 07:17:09

Hi folks

Sorry to post about a not nice subject but can anyone on here help me?

My five year old cat has taken to pooing outside the litter tray. It happens almost every night even though I clean the litter tray out before going to bed.

I have a one year old and I am paranoid one day he gets to it before I do and we all know babies have a tendency to put things in their mouth! Yuck!

I've sprayed some spray around the area she is doing it which is meant to deter them but that isn't working either.

Anyone any advice?

PolterGoose Thu 12-May-16 07:29:54

Bigger litter tray?
Two trays?

hilbil21 Thu 12-May-16 07:47:42

It's quite big it's a hooded one. It was brand new litter in it before I went to bed last night so I'm not sure 2 trays would make a difference but I will try that thank you xx

TobleroneBoo Thu 12-May-16 07:50:38

I would try it without the hooded bit

NeedACleverNN Thu 12-May-16 07:51:49

Is it a different litter? Could she not like the feel of it under her feet?

You said you sprayed keep away stuff but have you sprayed a solution which breaks down scents and stops them from re-toileting there? Could be that her smell is more attractive than the keep away stuff

DawgDawg Thu 12-May-16 07:52:44

Argos do a really big one with removable high sides on it for £7.99. My cat likes it.

Have you changed the type of litter recently?

hilbil21 Thu 12-May-16 08:09:41

Nope same type of litter for last 4 years. It's the catsan clumping litter which she's never had a problem with before. She is still peeing in the litter tray just not pooing in it all the time.

The stuff I sprayed is specifically for cats and dogs if they are doing things like this. It's called "get off"

Thanks for all replies

NeedACleverNN Thu 12-May-16 08:11:02

Yes I've heard of get-off

It is supposed to deter them but does it neutralise the smell left behind previously?

It may be her smell is worth going back to despite the get-off product

hilbil21 Thu 12-May-16 08:22:52

What would you guys recommend to get rid of the smell. I think that may well be the problem. In due course I will be lifting the carpet as it is old and we are redecorating the room the litter tray is in - but don't want to lift it quite yet and leave bare floorboards sad

NeedACleverNN Thu 12-May-16 10:06:44

I use this

www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-and-Odour-Eliminator-For-Cats/p/I0003163?utm_source=google&utm_source=cpc&utm_campaign=ps_productTargets&CAWELAID=720017470000112863&_fp1=ppc&_fp2=387033746&_fp3=22161599066&_fp4=I0003163&gclid=CNfTyriX1MwCFcE_GwodtuMEwg

But I have the hardwood version. Seems to have worked. I had two poo puddles and a pee puddle yesterday in my living room. Spray of that and a wipe and so far touch wood nothing

hilbil21 Thu 12-May-16 10:37:12

Thank you shall order it and see if it helps xx

starsmurf Sat 14-May-16 15:01:27

Sorry to post late to this thread but I only joined a couple of days ago.

I'm studying a course on cat behaviour and inappropriate toileting is the most common problem that leads people to call in a behaviourist.

First of all, take your cat to the vet to see if there is a medical problem. That should always be the first port of call if a cat changes their behaviour. Your cat might be pooping overing the edge of the box becase he or she associates it with pain from constipation or arthritis.

Given that your cat is still peeing in the box there could be a few reasons for his/her behaviour:

Your cat may be one of those that prefer seperate boxes for peeing and pooing.

Do you have any other cats? There may be issues with sharing a litter box. The rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat plus one. So if you have 2 cats, you need 3 trays, 3 cats would need 4 trays etc.

You cat may be finding the catsan too painful to squat on and dig in, especially if he or she tries to sit on the edge of the tray. You could try slowly changing to a fine-grain, clumping litter. I use Sancat Gold for my cat and he's a big cat but finds it soft enough, it has a nice smell and it clumps well. To change the litter, you could offer a new tray with the new litter in it and see if your cat prefers it immediately. If that doesn't work, add a handful of the new litter when you next clean out the tray. The following week, add two handfuls (using less of the old litter), and so on until the changeover is complete.

By spraying "deterent" around the tray, you won't put your cat off pooping outside the tray, he or she may even find a more "private" place to do so. To get rid of the smell, try Urine Off, if the other suggestions haven't worked.

I hope things get sorted out, please give an update smile

RubbishMantra Sat 14-May-16 23:40:54

OP, when you say you clean the litter tray every night, do you mean a full scale clean, using detergent? Or just sifting out poo and wee clumps?

I ask because cats like their tray to smell of "themselves", so a full scale clean could be putting her off. Also the "Get Off" spray - spraying that around her tray might make her reluctant to use her tray.

I believe Simple Solution is the most efficient at removing pissy smells. Alternatively, a solution of biological washing powder does the trick - the enzymes break the wee smell down.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 15-May-16 13:23:02

Is the litter deep enough for them? I had a problem with this when I first got my cats and it stopped overnight when I doubled the amount of litter in the tray. Fussy madams!

DawgDawg Wed 18-May-16 19:00:18

How is it going OP

hilbil21 Fri 20-May-16 10:04:40

Sorry I haven't come back for a good few days! She last did it on Saturday 14/05 then no problems till this morning when she decided to do it again! I received the spray in the middle of the week and have used that so hopefully she won't do it there again! Whether she just does it somewhere else we shall see! X

hilbil21 Fri 20-May-16 10:05:45

Toddlerteaplease it seems to be around the same as it always was. Might put a bit more in tonight see if that helps

Toddlerteaplease Fri 20-May-16 13:10:36

I tried all the repllent sprays and all the neutralising ones as well and none of them worked. And they smell awful. I bought some waterproof cots gets and put them on the sofa until it stopped. I think it was all stress related.

hilbil21 Sun 22-May-16 18:45:18

Well the spray hasn't worked neither has making the litter deeper sad

hilbil21 Sun 22-May-16 18:47:07

Next attempt is two separate litter trays then if that doesn't work will try changing litter X

DawgDawg Sun 22-May-16 19:27:19

Are you washing the tray every day?

They recommend once a week.

How about a different type of litter in each tray? Maybe one wood & one the gritty stuff.

hilbil21 Sun 22-May-16 20:07:40

No I don't wash it every day I just empty the clumps out xx

6cats3gingerkittens Thu 26-May-16 15:24:08

What? No poo pics?

hilbil21 Fri 10-Jun-16 14:08:39

So the poo has stopped but I've lifted the old carpet today to find she has also been peeing in a corner and it's gone through to the floorboards!! I've sprayed the spray directly onto the floorboards and now the carpet is away am hoping that she doesn't do it again!

Wolfiefan Fri 10-Jun-16 14:12:18

Have you had her vet checked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now