Funny feeling when choosing a kitten

(18 Posts)
Goingthedistance Mon 09-May-16 23:34:36

DP and I decided that time was ripe to add to our family. So off we went to a friend's house...her slinky terror had recently given birth to a squealing bundle of mini terrors and there was a furry grey ball that caught my heart. I picked up the grey ball and she looked me straight in the eye and meowed. And in that moment I just knew she was the one, an unmistakable, unshakable, guttiest gut feeling.

Has anyone else had 'that feeling' and if so please share!

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 01:30:03

Yes! And that was just from a photograph when he was a week old. He was staring boldly into the camera. I reckon he used hypnosis, to lure me into a lifetime of servitude.

When I was able to visit him (at 5 weeks) he did that staring into the eyes thing, it's hard to explain, it was a very inquisitive intelligent look. Then he fell asleep under my chin.

He still does it now, if I'm feeling down. Taps me on the shoulder and does the enquiring stare.

Pic attached - can you guess which one is him? (Hint - his ears look like somebody stuck Doritos onto the sides of his head)

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 01:45:34

And I also had that feeling with a cat I had many moons ago. Also grey, like your kitten. He was a mog, but when he grew up looked exactly like a Russian Blue. He'd fan his tail out, peacock like, if he saw somebody he liked.

He was a beautiful cat, temperament as well as looks-wise, and all the local lady cats loved him, even though he was neutered. He used to disappear into the bushes with the NDN's tortie twins. They'd sit and yowl for him on our wheelie bins.

DramaAlpaca Tue 10-May-16 01:49:11

DS got this feeling when we went to choose a kitten from a friend's cat's litter. This tiny ginger kitten, only a few weeks old, climbed into his arms, cuddled up & fell asleep. DS was instantly in love, and still is, six years later. The bond between him & the cat is lovely to see.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 10-May-16 14:36:25

I had that with Harry, although he wasn't a kitten. I saw him on the rescue website and that was it, I lost all dignity and begged DH to let me have him until he gave in!

MyLocal Tue 10-May-16 14:37:36

I do that when any cat looks at me, hence me having collected a number from rescue centres and a stray.

Goingthedistance Tue 10-May-16 21:16:02

mantra the one second to right melted my heart... smile

Goingthedistance Tue 10-May-16 21:17:35

I've just got home from work and little grey ball of fluff is so happy to see me. Makes my heart swell...smilesmilesmile

exWifebeginsat40 Tue 10-May-16 21:27:20

my 7 month old Teddy was the runt of the litter. she was ratty black with a big ginger patch on top of her head. like Donald Trump.

she came home with me, and is utterly beautiful. I am FANTASTIC at choosing kittens.

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 21:59:15

Going, yes, that's my boy! grin It's almost like he's saying, "You better adopt me."

And you have grey floof-ball living with you already? How exciting/lovely. May you have many happy years together. smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 10-May-16 22:08:41

this happened with my very first cat....dh had seen a card in a newsagent window and arranged for us to go and just have a look

we went in and chatted and the owner of the mother cat was passing me the kittens to look at, first couple were girls and for some reason I had decided a boy would be best so she passed me another, then another...i put the first boy cat down and he got right back on my lap while I looked at the others and so made the decision for me.

I still miss that cat....he would have been 20 the year he died. <snivels and blows nose>

Goingthedistance Wed 11-May-16 01:07:52

Just the best feeling when little fur ball curls into you and starts snoring

Goingthedistance Wed 11-May-16 01:12:00

ventamiglia I know how you feel. I miss my first cats forever. Boy and girl from the same litter, the dynamic duo. She played fetch and he was like a zen master, so loving and calm.

Reetdiscreet Wed 11-May-16 01:13:04

grin at the thought that you choose a kitten/cat, they choose you then they train you to do their bidding, they are evil but oh so wonderful.

Goingthedistance Wed 11-May-16 01:21:36

You're not wrong reet grin

Goingthedistance Wed 11-May-16 01:50:03

Ps mantra I confess to having fallen a little bit in love with your boy's photo, his personality shines through!

RubbishMantra Wed 11-May-16 15:59:03

Going, your kitten is beautiful! She looks so content and chilled. Is she a particular breed, I was thinking Burmese or Oriental? Such unusual beautiful colouring.

Lovely that she's settled and bonded so quickly. Little Monsieur was the same - slept between DH and I under the duvet, head on pillow his first night, exhausted after hours of playing with his Flying Frenzy.

How old is she?

Goingthedistance Thu 12-May-16 17:53:15

mantra I'm not sure what she is really - her mother is tonkanese and her mother was Burmese or Siamese, I can't remember which but my friend rescued the mother from a kitten farm that bred lots of different breeds and by all accounts was pretty horrendous. But not illegal as far as I know. Rooms and rooms of little kittens, hate to think what happens to the ones that don't get chosen. sad
She's about fourteen weeks in that photo. And owns us already of course! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now