Very stinky wind!

(16 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Sat 07-May-16 22:12:39

This cat has toxic gas.

And it's every time she moves! She initially had diarrhoea which I put down to change of food from breeder but it's been 10 days now and she still stinks.

Her poo is now nice and solid, I've wormed her with panacur for 3 days so I know that's on top of but nothing has helped.

Do you think the food is too rich for her?

She has Royal canin dry kibble which she barely touches unless desperate and natures menu kitten wet food which she wolfs down. She also has water free range

Ninjagogo Sat 07-May-16 22:16:17

Hmm, unlucky! What was the breeder feeding her? Might try reducing the amount of natures menu that she gets? Increasing the amount of kibble obviously. Maybe she will grow out of it? Good luck!

NeedACleverNN Sat 07-May-16 22:20:14

Breeder was feeding her anything and everything apparently because she wanted to make the cat unfussy to cater to everyone's purse.

The kibble is available 24/7 too but she refuses to touch it unless she's really desperate. She would eat all day if you let her and will actually try to pinch food off your plate. We don't let her do this though

NeedACleverNN Mon 09-May-16 20:36:05

Can anyone recommend a different wet food??

I think it's too rich. She still stinks

Wolfiefan Mon 09-May-16 20:37:57

Our two kittens bloody stank until I changed their dried food to grain free. Better now even on regular set food.

NeedACleverNN Mon 09-May-16 20:41:15

She barely touches the dry food though?

It's the wet food she guzzles and she is toxic for a while after eating it...which is three times a day!!

Archfarchnad Mon 09-May-16 20:46:57

Make sure she's eating grain-free wet food too. It stopped Archcat farting pretty much instantly.

NeedACleverNN Mon 09-May-16 20:49:01

www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Menu-Kitten-Chicken-Pack/dp/B009YRVHA2

This is what she has..I can't see if it's grain free or not. Doesn't look like it

katemiddletonsnudeheels Mon 09-May-16 20:49:47

How old is she? My cats were always trumping as kittens; it was honestly a mystery to me how such adorable small things could produce such smelly trumps!

NeedACleverNN Mon 09-May-16 20:53:23

She's 8 weeks. Almost 9 weeks.

Archfarchnad Mon 09-May-16 21:14:33

I've just checked on the Nature's Menu website and it is indeed grain-free - and with 70% meat it's one of the better ratios. So you've eliminated one of the more common causes already. It could be that she'll grow out of it (8 weeks is very young to have left the breeder in any case, why isn't she still with her mum?), or perhaps she's intolerant to a particular ingredient like chicken. Please do keep her on good quality food, though - it makes a huge difference to their long-term health and you can see that in the quality of their fur.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Mon 09-May-16 21:16:45

Oh, it's really normal then - it really does stink though! It passes, I think it might be as their little tummies get used to solid food smile

NeedACleverNN Mon 09-May-16 21:21:21

Yeah thank you.

I always feed my animals the best I can afford.

I know she's still quite young but she has settled in lovely and hasn't missed her mum a bit. She is currently taking up half the sofa with me and dh clinging to the edges..

Ffffffftttttttt Mon 09-May-16 21:33:43

Ours stank and loose poos until we switched to Royal Canin sensitive- they do it wet or dry. Lovely firm smell free nuggets and low vol farts since. I tried with all manner of expensive high meat German foods but nothing worked until the sensitive.

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 02:14:06

You can get some stuff from the vet (sorry, can't remember what it's called) and it ensures there's the correct balance of bacteria the gut requires to digest food. It's a paste, in a massive syringe and you mix it in with their food.

You could take a stool sample to the vet and ask them to test for Giardia.

But when I brought Little Monsieur home at 13 weeks, there were some smelly, loose poos trampled around the house. Tests done, paste administered and nothing wrong. She's probably just adjusting to her new environment.

NeedACleverNN Thu 12-May-16 12:18:07

Just thought I would update this.

So I had a word with the pet shop yesterday and he advised me for a couple of days put her on the Royal canin mother and baby dry food. Apparently it works wonders with squitty cats.

No treats and no wet food. Just this for at least 2 or 3 days.

Bought it home and swapped her dry food for the new kibble which she had a couple of mouth full of.

Came to tea time and she was not impressed when I didn't serve her her wet food. But luckily this stuff can be mixed with water and it becomes a paste once the water has soaked in which takes about half an hour. Did that and she wolfed it down.

Now on day two of the kibble and paste combo and so far, touch wood no wind and no dirrohea.

Will eventually introduce wet food again and see what happens. We have the hi-life tempt me pate to try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now