How to keep smells down

(16 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Thu 28-Apr-16 12:36:30

Day 2 with fluffy butt and so far we are keeping the smells down ok.

I know from previous experience that I hate cat litter smells

So far we have;-
The clumping(yellow bag) of cat San
The solids are taken out and put straight outside in the nappy bin as soon as we notice
Hooded litter tray
Hoover and clean daily

We are also feeding a good quality food in the hopes it they don't need to defecate so much (works on dogs don't know if it does on cats). She has Royal canin kitten food free range and natures menu kitten food 3 times a day. It's 70% chicken

What else could I do?

cozietoesie Thu 28-Apr-16 13:42:59

Natur'e Menu seems to give slightly smaller poos with Seniorboy right enough. I'm not sure if there's anything else you should do.

Is there plenty of water available?

cozietoesie Thu 28-Apr-16 13:43:42

Nature's Menu

NeedACleverNN Thu 28-Apr-16 13:46:28

Yes water is freely available

isamonster Thu 28-Apr-16 16:38:25

i had litter trays with an extractor fan when I had two cats in a flat with a baby... They really helped. Try zooplus...

Penfold007 Thu 28-Apr-16 17:53:27

Pengirl has a lidded litter tray and we fill it with Bio-Catolet a paper based litter. She also has a very sensitive digestive system and we have been giving her Natures' Menu for sometime, seems to work and has the side effect of less solids, smell and wind.

RobotMenu Thu 28-Apr-16 21:46:37

Better quality wet food - natures menu or the options from the happy kitty company.

Better quality cat litter - cats best öko, for example

Clean poo ASAP as you do.

We only notice litter smells when they are fresh.

Katnisnevergreen Mon 02-May-16 09:32:09

I find the wood pellet cat litter really good, it seems to soak up the smells, particularly wee
I took to buying big bags or the wood pellet horse bedding from my local feed shop as it was so much cheaper

PovertyPain Mon 02-May-16 09:37:48

Def Cats Best Litter. You pay more for it,but it lasts longer AND you can flush the poo down the toilet. Limit how much cat food including fish in their ingredients. I find it makes their poo stink I'm looking at you Mama Lisa, who had such a smelly poo, it woke me up at 3am envy

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 02-May-16 09:40:58

We have a hooded tray with activated charcoal filters. We take out poos daily and change the rest regularly. Just use the supermarket value litter, never noticed a problem

RubbishMantra Mon 02-May-16 20:29:35

A good quality hooded tray seems to do the job. but then again, my 2 prefer shitting in my flowerbed

Worlds Best or Sainsbury's/Waitrose fine clumping litter is good for those unwanted excrement smells.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-May-16 20:56:26

If there's a vent in the covered cat litter you can buy sheets of charcoal matting for kitchen extractor fans and cut it to size. Charcoal really helps.

I leave the trickle vents open a lot in this house.

RubbishMantra Thu 05-May-16 23:43:38

Fluffy, Little Monsieur pulls the charcoal filter out and eats it! I have to keep filter covered to stop him tearing it out.

Iknownuffink Mon 09-May-16 16:02:20

I feed Natural Instinct and Natures Menu. I keep a stock of Butchers Classic for when I forget to place an order. I use Oko Plus cat litter from Zooplus, it comes in 40L bags. Is flush able and lasts for ages. I scoop every evening and top up as required . No cat smells in this gaff!

LowDudgeon Wed 11-May-16 21:21:41

My cats eat Felix AGAIL, fish as well as meat, plus Royal Canin vet care biscuits (neutered female) & the litter trays very rarely smell - usually only if one of them has eaten something they shouldn't hmm

I use cats best oko plus litter which is amazing. Needs to be deep though (& pref in a covered tray)

Toddlerteaplease Thu 19-May-16 10:34:17

I use intersand Classic cat litter. It is amazing, it clumps really well and there is literally no smell, even with unburied poo sitting on top, and me kneeling in front of the box to scoop it. My completely anal about smells friend uses it and loves it. I've also got a top entry litter box, it's really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now