kittens due any day now

(18 Posts)
dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 08:51:50

Our girl cat went missing for 3 months. We had her booked in to be spayed then she went missing. Amazingly we got her back and she settled back in well, we were all so happy to have her home (we have 2 male neutered cats). She was home for 3-4 weeks when she came into heat, we had only just started letting her outside again. You can see where this is leading... She's now very heavily pregnant!! This morning she has hidden herself away so we're expecting the kittens any time now.

Does anyone have any experience? I'm trying to borrow a dog crate (we have 2 toddlers) so that she and the kittens will be safe and protected. I'm just very anxious about her actually being in labour.. What do we do? She's had some food, but we had to take it to her because she won't move from her spot!

any advice will be appreciated!!

isamonster Thu 28-Apr-16 12:20:41

Stay with her and watch her... she may need your help. Get some blankets and towels you don't mind donating to her on hand. I remember putting together a birthing box with a blanket etc, then she gave birth in my wardrobe! She will want to feel safe and appreciate darkness and calm. I also remember mine's tummy rippling just before the first one but she actually came and got me, paw on my arm. Make sure she has food and water and a litter tray. Good luck!

dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 13:51:41

Thanks! We have 3 kittens!! Can't believe how well she did and how easy she made it look. It was amazing to watch. We're getting a dog crate from a friend so we can keep them safe and so she can have space etc.

They are all currently feeding and resting!!

isamonster Thu 28-Apr-16 16:33:42

Ahh - I'm all goose bumps. So lovely! Get her done ASAP though. Photos please! Let us know how they get on...

isamonster Thu 28-Apr-16 16:35:51

Oh and congratulations to you and her. star

dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 16:39:47

She had a surprise number 4 a few hours after number 3! She seems to be ok, tired though and has 4 tiny kittens crawling all over her, they are managing to feed well. I've offered her water but she wouldn't take any. she did have some food earlier on though!

dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 16:40:27

This might totally out me but.... Awwwww

readingrainbow Thu 28-Apr-16 16:40:28

Oh lovely. Have you thought about homes for them? We are looking for a kitten. grin

isamonster Thu 28-Apr-16 16:52:03

Awww - so cute. Mine had a third an hour after the others too - stage how it works. I'm sure she'll drink if she needs to... I seem to remember giving her lots of wet food. Good quality wet food at the start then you can get mother and kitten food if you choose too.

i just found this link - fixnation.org/2011/04/momma-mia-7-important-tips-when-caring-for-momma-cats-and-kittens/

Didn't read it all but it seems to cover most of it. Hope all's well.

dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 18:54:32

That was an interesting article! People say not to handle the kittens for a few days but the more I read, the more they suggest otherwise and handling early is a good idea!

All doing really well, the surprise 4th took a lot of licking by mum to get it going and that was a bit tense!!

She'll be getting spayed as soon as it's safe to do so.

It's been quite a day!!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:14:52

It sounds it! How will you bear to let them go?

dontaskdonttell Thu 28-Apr-16 19:50:13

I don't know! It will be horrible, although perhaps by then the novelty will have worn off... And the reality of having 3 big cats and 4 kittens will be hitting home!!

readingrainbow Thu 28-Apr-16 20:23:31

Yes, seven cats is a bridge too far - my mother lives in the country and has 8. It's too many! The stories she has...

Vinorosso74 Thu 28-Apr-16 21:41:08

Oops to the unplanned pregnancy. Lovely story though, sounds like mum is doing well looking after them.
I always think our cat would have been a good mum. I don't think she ever had kittens (we got her at 6 yo) but when DD she really looked out for her. Who knows perhaps she's better suited as an aunt.

Vinorosso74 Thu 28-Apr-16 21:41:46

*when DD was a baby

Itslikeyoureadmymind Thu 28-Apr-16 21:47:06

Awww dontask kittens are lovely, if not hard work! But if it makes it any easier, the family we got our 2nd cat were sad to him go, but very glad he went to a good home.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Thu 28-Apr-16 21:49:18

Teensy kitty paws!

How sweet smile I handled my cats kittens from the start and they were always very friendly.

For the first eight weeks, you will think you can't bear to rehome them.

Then, you'll be desperate to get rid of them grin They are very cute, though.

isamonster Sun 01-May-16 21:02:49

How's it going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now