Reducing the number of casualties

(13 Posts)
ToastyMcToastface Mon 25-Apr-16 12:09:12

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be to this! We have a prolific hunter, she's been with us for about 6 months or so, came from a rescue centre. She's young but not sure of exact age, 1 or 2. The body count is piling up, we have at least two dead things a day, sometimes more.

I know we can't stop her hunting, she's just being a cat, but is there any way of discouraging her from bringing prey actually into the house? She has free access in and out all the time at the moment, we tried keeping her in overnight but she cried and cried and cried and kept everyone awake.
Do bells on collars actually work? Short of shutting her in at night, is there anything else we can try?

RobotMenu Mon 25-Apr-16 23:38:52

Cat fencing. Fence in your garden so she can't get out. Much harder for her to hunt.

ToastyMcToastface Tue 26-Apr-16 09:28:00

We have an acre of land so that's not possible. She brought in a headless rabbit this morning. shock
We're going to try keeping her in, just to get a break from the corpses.

cozietoesie Tue 26-Apr-16 10:01:03

Yes. Try keeping her inside, especially at dawn and dusk. (Cats hunt best in 'low-light' conditions.)

RobotMenu Tue 26-Apr-16 22:29:17

But can't you fence off an area? Better than keeping her in.

ToastyMcToastface Wed 27-Apr-16 07:17:12

Definitely can't fence, the layout of the house and the site are just too complicated. Plus the garden's on lots of different levels with steps everywhere and with loads of handy trees to climb. And we have lots of wildlife already in the garden and some that makes its way through each night (badgers) which tend to destroy any fences they come across!
Kept her in last night, she's out now so will see what she finds to punish us this morning.

RobotMenu Wed 27-Apr-16 07:37:47

Fair enough smile. I've become a bit of an advocate. Mostly due to road safety, which doesn't seem to be a problem in your case anyway!

I keep mine in at dawn and dusk (and overnight).

ToastyMcToastface Wed 27-Apr-16 07:58:58

No, def no road problem here!
I just can't believe what a prolific hunter she is, given she's only got one eye. It was lovely this morning not to step on anything, so think we'll have to keep her in overnight at least for a while.

KnockMeDown Wed 27-Apr-16 11:44:10

Will be watching this - came on to start almost the same thread! We have two 9 month old kittens, and have had what countless shrews, baby hedgehogs, and to top it all, a headless rabbit last night shock Snap, Toast

We can't really fence them in - we already have 6 foot high fences to two sides of the garden, which are no problem to them, and we back onto a field at the back.

Good suggestions re keeping them in at dusk, but some of these offering have been day-time.

Live shrews aren't too bad - dead, headless rabbits are grim!

ToastyMcToastface Wed 27-Apr-16 11:59:11

Oh knock my sympathies! Headless rabbits are so grim, especially when there's no sign of the head. shock dreading finding it under a cupboard or something.

KnockMeDown Wed 27-Apr-16 12:14:45

Yes, that crossed my mind too!

And the disposing of the carcasses is horrid.

The worst bit is the disdainful look on their faces - WHY do you not appreciate our gifts? hmm

RubbishMantra Wed 27-Apr-16 15:52:29

Wait til you get a live frog. When one of my cats brought one it, I thought I had a screaming baby in the house.

ToastyMcToastface Wed 27-Apr-16 17:11:33

shock we have a large pond with a huge number of tadpoles. <gives up now>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now