Love bites

(9 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Mon 25-Apr-16 09:28:05

Any tips for discouraging love bites? I've told the 'tray about the Fabulous Bibi before - my former stray who overcame huge odds and a host of serious illnesses to rule my house as a conquering queen. She is highly affectionate and extremely bossy and loud. One way she communicates affection is, well, biting. I'm sure it's affection - it happens in the middle of a love fest, and it's not full force biting, just hard enough to hurt. She purrs while doing it. Is she dominating me? She grooms me also. I've tried saying no (lol) and moving her off but she just comes back more determinedly.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:43:21

I think you need to put her outside the room to calm down for 10 minutes.

There's not much doubt on the dominating question grin

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 25-Apr-16 10:40:20

There's not much doubt on the dominating question

Before Bibi I thought only dogs did this.

Never have I encountered such a being. She is one of a kind.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 11:32:37

She's likely getting all excited by the love fest and that's the only way to let off some steam - it doesn't mean that she doesn't like lurrvv, just that it all builds up in her and then sort of explodes in a bite.

Could you maybe eschew the physical love fest and move to more talking to her instead? (I'm trying to think of a way to give her loads of attention without continuing bad habits.)

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 25-Apr-16 11:52:58

She forces love upon people though - she comes at you like a bulldozer of affection.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 11:59:58

What would happen if you 'turned away' ?

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 25-Apr-16 17:36:00

Well, I think I am going to have to find out! Pursuit, probably. She does it when I'm sitting or lying down primarily.

I adore Beebs, but I don't think I understand her quite as well as I understand Zara. She's a complex creature.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 18:19:30

I'm probably heavily influenced by my Siamese boys. When they've 'bonded' they're unutterably convinced that they're the centre of your universe - so discipline comes easy to them because it doesn't shake their trust in you. You need consistency and strong willpower of course: implacability in the face of protest is sometimes required. They like knowing the rules though - don't seem to mind having them at all.

In fact I follow this approach with non-Siamese and they seem to like it fine. You know your own girl best though. smile

Would you say you were Top Cat in your household?

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 25-Apr-16 18:43:35

Probably not, to be honest. Beebs is kind of indomitable.

I love Siamese! So beautiful and smart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now