Sardines in spring water

(20 Posts)
cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:45:25

I bought a can of these the other week and tried some today on Seniorboy. He ate some of them which - considering he was just out of bed and doesn't like fish much - is almost an expression of enthusiasm.

More to the point, they're actually very tasty and would, I think, eg mash down fine on some toast for a human supper. (Thinking about half cans here.)

Just saying in case anyone else has a fusspot cat to feed. smile

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sat 23-Apr-16 13:47:25

My cat loves the tins of mackerel in tomato sauce.
She turns her nose up a fresh plain mackerel though. Strange thing

LineyReborn Sat 23-Apr-16 13:47:27

My cats love the tomato sauce bit of sardines in tomato sauce.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:49:52

Ah. I bought one of the tomato sauce ones for me. I guess its destination is more definite though?

LineyReborn Sat 23-Apr-16 13:54:21

You know what you have to do grin

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:58:31

Yep. I fear I do.

isamonster Sat 23-Apr-16 20:36:02

When we lived in France, my cat drank mineral water out of our glasses from time to time... I think you can guess where this is leading... Every so often he gets mineral water now. And when he doesn't, he sulks... but he gets over it. I bet he'd love a sardine or two...

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 20:51:12

They're also surprisingly cheap. I bought the Sainsbury's own brand which was only about 40 pence or so if I recall?

isamonster Sat 23-Apr-16 21:04:58

In that case, that actually sounds like a very good idea.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 23-Apr-16 21:10:48

Thanks, will give it a go!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 23-Apr-16 21:13:05

I bought ours volvic once but he turned his nose up at it. Pretty sure he drinks out of the toilet bowl.

dingit Sat 23-Apr-16 21:18:31

Ooh me and dcat often share a tin of sardines for lunch grin

CMOTDibbler Sat 23-Apr-16 21:18:31

I buy lidl sardines for my dogs and if we are out of cat food, they get sardines. One eats them, one eats the tomato sauce with great enthusiasm but not the fish, and one strops off to call the rspca

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 21:18:52

I held the line at tap water I'm afraid. grin

isamonster Sat 23-Apr-16 21:22:18

Ten years in France... Enough said.

coffeeisnectar Sat 23-Apr-16 21:31:23

Ours love sardines too, except girl cat 2 who refuses anything except her purina biscuits (and is getting to be a lard arse)

Boy Cat loves tomato sauce. He gets excited if we open a tin of beans and has to be restrained ....

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Apr-16 21:40:37

Pilchards are of course British sardines wink and we regularly use them in the surgery for sick cats.
Freshly cooked chicken off the counter in the Supermarket is also a good one shock.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 23:03:11

....and one strops off to call the rspca....

grin

hollinhurst84 Sat 23-Apr-16 23:39:55

Ollie thinks all fish is poison. I ran out of dreamies the other day (bad owner) and had some dried salmon treats. He looked at them like I was poisoning him but they had mysteriously disappeared by the next morning hmm
But then he will refuse cheddar cheese "horrible stuff hooman" and adores Parmesan confused

cozietoesie Sun 24-Apr-16 00:00:38

Seniorboy can look with complete indifference at some salmon. The only fish he's been prepared to tolerate before now was tuna in brine - which he's not allowed. (He tried to thieve some.) That's why I was so amazed when he ate some of the sardines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now