scared and poorly cat

(8 Posts)
thefamilyvonstrop Mon 11-Apr-16 22:30:46

Our 1 year old cat was over the road earlier this evening - I saw him wandering around. After about 15 minutes he turned up at the door looking agitated, pupils totally black and his back and side covered in poo. He has cleaned himself up and let us wipe and groom him but he is still very frightened and is currently sitting in our recycling box in the pantry. He has let us pick him up so no obvious wounds but he definitely isn't right.
The emergency vet called and talked us through some initial checks - that he is letting us handle him, that there is no gaps in his tail and he has eaten a few biscuits - he has said he may have been clipped by a car or a dog grabbed at him and terrified him but it's best to leave him to settle and to get him looked at first thing. But I'm wondering if we should ask the vet to come out regardless - he is normally totally wired at night so seeing him sitting in a corner all night is hugely unusual.
What should I do??

Icequeen01 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:18:28

How is he this morning Op? Poor little mite. I wonder if he got into a fight with another cat? Strange that he was covered in poo. Do you have any cat hating neighbours who might have done something? I do hope he's calmed this morning and I would definitely have a trip to the vets to get him checked over today.

Vinorosso74 Tue 12-Apr-16 08:21:47

Poor cat! Did he settle last night? Definitely worth a vet trip.

thecatneuterer Tue 12-Apr-16 08:25:23

Poor cat. I hope he's ok. I wonder what happened.

thefamilyvonstrop Tue 12-Apr-16 09:35:56

Thanks all - he is still very quiet. He is eating but won't go out and is keeping to quiet places. He is off to the vet shortly so we can check there is no underlying issue. The vet has suggested it sounds like a dog has caught him and not punctured the skin but compressed his back half hence him soiling himself (a lot! ). He is such a daft cat - he was from a rescue centre and has been there all his life and appears to have no sense of danger - chews on wires, attacks and eats bees, jumps from windows, approaches other cats like they are his bestfriend - the list goes on! He loves going out but I think he may need to stay in doors for a while till he gets a few wits about him.

Icequeen01 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:47:02

How did he get on at the vets. Did they find anything? Hope he's calmed down now.

thefamilyvonstrop Wed 13-Apr-16 20:19:48

They think he has been grabbed at by a dog - there are no puncture wounds but he is a bit bruised around his back legs. He is sticking close to home at the moment - I think that's another of his 9 lives gone...

Icequeen01 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:32:24

Oh the poor thing. No wonder he was so scared. I think he most definitely has lost one of his 9 lives, you hear awful things about what happens sometimes when a dog gets hold of a cat. So pleased to hear he is relatively unscathed from his horrible ordeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now