run or cat fence recommendations to keep cat safe in garden

(14 Posts)
Foxyspook Wed 06-Apr-16 08:20:05

I am once more venturing into cat ownership again and after a lot of heartbreak from fatally injured cats, would like this one to remain an indoor cat. I am at home all day, we have 2 tiny dogs and a big house. I know keeping it indoors will not always be easy - children tend to leave the back door open. I wondered if I could make it easier.

Can any one recommend a pen (or how they went about building a secure bit of the garden), or a fence that I could use to secure my garden. If so, I would be really grateful. I am not the best at DIY but am anxious to find some means to keep new cat safe and happy.

Thanks very much. Just somewhere I can put him into so that the children can run in and out and he is safe and can have fresh air. Not something to dump him in for long periods of time....

LetUsPrey Wed 06-Apr-16 08:29:49

My friend has a similar situation. She had a fence (that sort of green wide net appearance fence) with a curved over top so the cat can't jump over the top. There's a gate in it to allow access to the rest of the garden, and she can reconfigure it.

She's had it for ages too and it's still going strong.

A quick google brings up quite a few ideas.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 06-Apr-16 08:32:56

In my current house I am very lucky as the yard came almost pre-secured for cats, just paid a local builder to install a couple of mesh bits over the open parts (cost £80). In my previous house, I sketched a plan of what I wanted then asked around local builder-decoraters/carpenters till I found someone who could do it (cost £600 including materials and weatherproofing if I recall correctly). I'll try to look out some photos for you now.

Foxyspook Wed 06-Apr-16 08:36:08

That would be great - thanks. Just a little bit of the garden fenced off would probably be best idea

LetUsPrey Wed 06-Apr-16 08:47:09

Hope you have lots of happy times with your new cat OP

evilgiraffe Wed 06-Apr-16 08:49:42

My ILs have this sort of fencing around their garden (not sure if that's the exact one they have though). It has been there for several years and keeps their cats in very well.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 06-Apr-16 09:01:35

Couldn't find a pic of the whole thing but these give a sense of its dimension. This is the one in my old house. The new one is literally just my yard, which unfortunately has no grass, but I've put in some plants, unsuccessful planting trays, shelves for them to climb on and strung some dangly things across.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 06-Apr-16 09:01:42

Couldn't find a pic of the whole thing but these give a sense of its dimension. This is the one in my old house. The new one is literally just my yard, which unfortunately has no grass, but I've put in some plants, unsuccessful planting trays, shelves for them to climb on and strung some dangly things across.

Makeroomforthemushrooms Wed 06-Apr-16 09:02:12

I have this: protectapet.com/
You can install it yourself/have someone do it for you or get the company out to do everything.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 06-Apr-16 09:03:01

Sorry for the double post. This is the 4th pic I meant to attach

marmaladegranny Wed 06-Apr-16 09:12:04

All the above suggestions look great but a word of warning - if you have foxes or badgers where you live, they dig under fences and leave an unplanned cat exit point!
We couldn't catproof our last garden thanks to badgers and, now we've moved, its the foxes!

picklesanne Wed 06-Apr-16 10:18:40

We use aviary panels which attach to a shed, have had no escapees so far.

Foxyspook Wed 06-Apr-16 21:25:32

Thanks so much. I am going to visit kitten tomorrow and will talk to the breeder about how she does it. I know she keeps them indoors with outdoor options. Will definitely look at either the pen type, Iloveeverykindofcat, because that looks great. I suppose if you made it yourself - i.e. got someone else to do it bespoke, you could fence in tree branches etc. I think, because our garden has quite a lot of boundaries and has some lovely hedges, it would end up very expensive to use the proper cat security fences.

thanks so much. Determined to keep this cat safe!

Foxyspook Wed 06-Apr-16 21:26:30

Picklesanne, are the aviary panels easy to attach together if you are a bit useless at building?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now