Come and extol the virtues of an adult cat over kittens for me..... Dilemma......

(45 Posts)
WannaBe Mon 04-Apr-16 21:59:07

So, have been agonising since I lost my cat last May over getting another one. I've been putting it off partly because losing my last cat was hard, plus traumatic, and DS didn't seem convinced, partly for the reason above IMO as he found her injured and she'd been pts within an hour due to her injuries sad (she was seventeen).

But I've really wanted to get some kittens. Have looked at the rescues but they didn't seem to have any in recently. But today we finally went to Battersea and registered and have been approved to adopt. Went and had a look at the cats and although they didn't have any kittens they had two who might be suitable, but they are both adults. One is almost three and DS took to her and she to DS. but they also showed us some pictures of kittens who will be ready to go in a few weeks.

When it came to the crunch I walked out without the adult cat. But now I'm torn.

On the one hand:

She's an adult cat, has calmed down a bit from being a kitten, is confident, friendly, she's being rehomed due to the owner developing an allergy. she's been spayed already, she's suitable to be rehomed with my dog.

But on the other hand, I had my heart set on kittens. but when I think back to when my cats were little they were into everything, scratched my furniture, climbed my curtains, got into everything else and together were a bit of a whirlwind. But they were kiiiiittens and were adorable and I got to watch them grow and develop their little personalities and they were all mine.

So, do I wait? Or do I go and fetch tiggy from Battersea tomorrow?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Apr-16 22:17:21

Oh go and get her.

Kittens break everything & injure themselves. Look at all your nice things. Then imagine them with pulls in & in smithereens on the floor.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 04-Apr-16 22:21:20

Get her, kittens are tricky little bastards (I have 14 catsgrin)

DramaAlpaca Mon 04-Apr-16 22:23:47

Go and get her, you know you want to! She sounds lovely.

And then go and get a kitten in a few weeks grin

bloodyteenagers Mon 04-Apr-16 22:28:14

I currently have two kittens.
Never again. They are vandals.
I actually dread some days walking in wondering what mess I will have to deal with. They have broken lots. Ripped even more including expensive curtains.
They are litter trained, ish.
My feet are not safe. I currently have a coupe of deep and painful scratches on the
Top of my feet which are a few inches long. Never mind the random other scratches.

They are forever in the bin scavenging, even though they are well feed. They constantly scream at me for food.

They make so much noise at night it's hard
To sleep. I try locking out of my room. It makes them worse. Then they fucking jump over me and run over me all night.

In all honestly babies, toddlers and teens are so much easier to deal with. My dear departed cat although she was a kitten still she was older than these two monsters.

KanyeWesticle Mon 04-Apr-16 22:29:41

Go and get her - she sounds lovely and perfect for you.

RoosterCogburn Mon 04-Apr-16 22:31:28

Kittens can be bastards - a lovely mature cat will be perfect!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 04-Apr-16 22:32:32

When you adopt an adult cat they are very grateful all their lives and tend to be much more loving than those who come into their forever home as kittens.

bloodyteenagers Mon 04-Apr-16 22:48:36

Lonecat you are on to something there.
My old girl was 9 months and homeless
When she adopted me.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Apr-16 22:53:36

I've had cats from all ages - from birth (more or less) to my current lad who came to me when he was about 14.

There's no gainsaying that kittens, while being a right PITA at times, are cute. But there's just as much love and satisfaction from a slightly more mature cat. (Indeed, some might say there's more, when you take on a cat who's been frightened, or abandoned, or standoffish or whatever and they suddenly give you the 'My Mommy' look. You don't get that from kittens in the same way, I think. You're not quite wallpaper to kittens but they take you much more for granted in my experience.)

I guess my advice would be to go with what's best, whatever the age they're at. The oldest Siamese I ever saw up for a new home was 19 - and his picture showed a valiant old chap, clearly trying to cope with the loss of his owner. (I think he found a new home in a couple of days! smile)

Go get her. smile

cozietoesie Mon 04-Apr-16 23:14:40

By the way, did you notice that you said 'fetch tiggy' and not 'go get that cat'?

Sounds like she's really part of the family already? smile

DramaAlpaca Mon 04-Apr-16 23:19:25

I noticed that too, cozie.

Tiggy is your cat, OP smile

glamourousgranny42 Mon 04-Apr-16 23:23:52

My last rescue was 7yrs old. He's now 16 and has been an absolute joy. I always think that someone is bound to adopt kittens but all cats deserve a forever home. My boy was litter trained, spayed and we knew the kind of household he would be happiest in. He's my darlin and I don't regret getting him for a minut.

Branleuse Mon 04-Apr-16 23:26:19

I prefer either older kittens or adult cats. You know what youre getting personality wise

NightWanderer Mon 04-Apr-16 23:32:07

They are small for such a short period of time. I got my rescue cats at 6 months and they were almost adult sized then. They were pretty energetic though. I don't know how people cope with really small kittens. They must be such a lot of work.

How old is your son? I have a toddler and she loves to cuddle the cats but she's too enthusiastic. I wouldn't risk a kitten until my kids were older and better able to handle one.

TeeManyMartoonis Tue 05-Apr-16 06:26:37

I think Tiggy has already decided that she is yours!

We were going to get two kittens, silver tabbies who were just the cutest, sweetest things. And then I gave my head a wobble and thought that if I wanted babies I would stop taking the pill...

I got a 5yr old very playful cat. I adore her, it was the best decision. She is the loveliest thing, very playful, very cute, painfully beautiful. I will be back to work in two weeks and although I don't like leaving her I know she and my house will be fine. No destruction, just calm.

Why don't you go and see her again? Just to test the waters?

Devonjade Tue 05-Apr-16 07:04:46

Go get Tiggy!!

We adopted an older cat from rescue about a year and a half ago. She was sat in the back of her cage looking miserable. She's been great - all house trained when she came to us.

She is however very nervous and still legs it whenever strangers come into our house but is great when it's us there, and she's getting more confident all the time. The lady told me it could take up to a year for her to settle and she was right so you do still get to see their personalities develop.

Everyone wants the kittens but the older ones find it more difficult to get loving homes.

Go go go!!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 05-Apr-16 09:58:48

Go and get her, you know you want to!

Harry was 3 when we adopted him. It was a good age for us to adopt - he was (and still is) playful but didn't come with all the stress of kittens running riot.

Is she the little torti and white cat on the Battersea website? If so she's gorgeous!

cozietoesie Tue 05-Apr-16 10:10:50

PS - probably best to phone the rescue before you tell DS that you're going to fetch her home. You don't need any unfortunateness. wink

WannaBe Tue 05-Apr-16 13:11:45

On our way there now. :-) yes she's the one on the website.

I rang and reserved her before I left home.

cozietoesie Tue 05-Apr-16 13:13:12

Keep that camera ready. smile

What was DS's face like when you told him?

AwkwardSquad Tue 05-Apr-16 13:32:26

Oh, that's lovely smile

Our current feline resident was about two when we got her from the RSPCA. It's been lovely seeing her gradually gain confidence and settle in. She is an incredibly well-mannered little creature, too. She was a welfare case, so took longer to gain confidence than a rehomed well looked after pet would, I think. Tiggy will probably settle in fast!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 05-Apr-16 15:08:31

I'm so pleased! She is gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pictures of her!

WannaBe Tue 05-Apr-16 16:56:16

She's home. :-) Haven't been able to get pictures yet but jumped straight out of the crate and did an immediate exploration. Then went straight to her food bowl and ate a pouch of food. She's currently in DS' room (he's thirteen so perfectly responsible plus is going to his dad's tomorrow so will be quiet in there for her). Although I am not convinced quiet is what she wants. grin grin.

And she is into everything <breathes sigh of relief that I didn't decide to bring home two kittens>.

RoosterCogburn Tue 05-Apr-16 16:59:02

Yaay, you won't regret it. Adult cats are fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now