One of my cats keeps toiletting behind the sofa.

(9 Posts)
RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 21:58:38

We only moved here 9 weeks ago and since day one i have been finding pee and poo behind the sofa and occasionally at the back door (sofa and back door both in kitchen). There are 3 litter trays in the house and the cat has access to the entire house so no issue in getting to the trays. Should i just give in and put a tray behind the sofa? Was hoping to avoid it but the smell is there anyway when he pees on the floor!

cozietoesie Fri 25-Mar-16 23:12:30

Temporarily, perhaps. Is he an only cat and does he go outside at all? (Most of my own boys who went outside have used indoor facilities through choice.)

It's just that it sounds a bit like a territory issue - although I know he's just moved. Is there any way a new cat could be getting in the house? Or you might have seen eg a cat outside?

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:34:54

No we have a female cat too. Both are spayed/neutered. Both cats are indoor cats. And no chance of other cats getting in as i dont open the windows wide enough for fear of ours escaping.

cozietoesie Sat 26-Mar-16 00:25:09

I wonder if it's possible that you have eg a mean tom outside who might be spraying at the outside of the back door and unsettling him as the scent drifts through to his sensitive nostrils. Have you ever seen one around outside?

Oh - and how do your two seem to get on?

cozietoesie Sat 26-Mar-16 00:27:02

Sorry - I forgot. How old is he? And has he recently been vetted?

Catzpyjamas Sat 26-Mar-16 00:29:26

You could try Railway or Zylkene as it is possibly stress related due to the move.

Catzpyjamas Sat 26-Mar-16 00:29:56

Stupid autocorrect!! FELIWAY!!

RudeElf Sat 26-Mar-16 00:49:22

He is 2 years old and is coming up for his annual vaccinations so it will be almost a year since he was at the vets.

He gets on well with the other cat. They will play together. He tortures her a bit and she will growl and then go and sulk in the living room but generally they get on ok.

There do seem to be a few cats about but we are living on a building site atm with lots of work going on so cats dont tend to get too close. Not during the day anyway, nighttime could be different! I havent noticed any smells at the door outside or even anywhere around the house but will keep an eye on it.

Could be stress, i'll try a feliway and see if that helps.

Should i put a tray there temporarily or will that just cement the idea that thats a toilet area?

cozietoesie Sat 26-Mar-16 11:58:21

It's worth a try. I doubt it will reinforce any notions he has for the time being - they're more likely to be connected with doing his duty in a quiet and private place, I reckon.

Make sure you clean it correctly to try and avoid any smell in the floor though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now