Do all cats get fleas at some point?

(20 Posts)
mintmacaroon Mon 14-Mar-16 12:58:12

How often should I treat my cat and what is the most effective treatment? Is it inevitable that she'll get fleas at some point? Sorry for all the questions!

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 13:07:57

It's not necessarily inevitable but she'd have to be pretty lucky to avoid them completely over the course of a long life. (And they can sometimes be the very devil to get rid of if they become established - prevention is the better option in my view.)

How old is she and what sort of life does she lead?

PS - Is she to be wormed as well?

mintmacaroon Mon 14-Mar-16 13:14:21

She's 5 and I've had her for 5 weeks. She goes outside but never really wanders further than the garden at the moment. She was wormed and treated for fleas the week I adopted her so she's due for flea treatment soon?

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 14-Mar-16 13:32:26

Ideally you should treat her monthly with something like Advocate. We get this from our vet and it protects against fleas, worms and ear mites.

chemenger Mon 14-Mar-16 13:42:37

I think some locations are much more prone to fleas than others. When I lived in the NW of England I was waging a constant battle against them and had several major infestations. Back in Scotland I've never seen a flea and I don't treat for them any more. Maybe because we live semi-rurally and the cat concentration is very low and it's a bit colder, on average, than the terraced street I lived in in England. We have harvest mites instead and they are, if anything, worse, and harder to treat.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 13:56:29

Twig

I don't think Advocate kills tapeworms. You might want to check up on that one.

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 14-Mar-16 14:20:45

Hmmm, box says broad spectrum combination treatment, effective against fleas, flea larvae, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworms and Sarcoptic mange, ear and Demodex mites. The vet administers a different dewormer with annual vaccination boosters, would that be it?

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 14:28:47

I'm guessing that Yes - that would be it. (Do you remember its name?)

Notice the one that's missing from that list you quoted?

mintmacaroon Mon 14-Mar-16 14:29:27

This might be a daft question but her last treatment for fleas was on the 13th Feb. Does it matter that I'm a few days late as I won't be able to get to the vets until Friday to buy some?

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 14:32:36

I wouldn't worry about it, mint. A few days here or there aren't going to make too much difference in my view - in that issue, anyway. (People debate the optimum frequency of worm and flea treatment on much greater margins than that.)

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 14-Mar-16 20:50:56

We use Advocate on our two and the kitten has become very itchy. She scratches frantically and shivers her skin. She has been treated so what the heck is causing it??? Any ideas? She's not fun to catch so I'm hoping we don't have to make another trip to the vet's...

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 14-Mar-16 21:38:16

No cozie, tell me.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:43:05

Harry has Advocate monthly and Profender every three months. We're often late but he has never had fleas and worms thankfully. My previous vet actually told me it would be fine to use the Advocate every six weeks.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 22:07:14

The tapeworms we were discussing, Twig. wink

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 22:10:40

I just remember this horrible thread that Lone posted (Sorry - but it really was) about having to remove a 10 inch tapeworm surgically to free an obstructed gut in a cat. 10 inches really grossed me out.

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 14-Mar-16 22:36:11

Sorry, it's been a loooong day. Will ask vet re tapeworm

WalkerBait Mon 14-Mar-16 22:40:10

We've had dear cat many months and she is treated every month! !

Wolfiefan Mon 14-Mar-16 22:44:14

We advocate once a month and worm three monthly.

WalkerBait Mon 14-Mar-16 23:04:34

Same

Outdoor cat. Was told indoors need less

cozietoesie Mon 14-Mar-16 23:07:54

I think with worms, it can depend on the risk factors involved. Seniorboy is not only an indoor cat but he stopped hunting many years ago - I think that these days, he might stretch out a languid paw if a mouse actually came and prostrated itself in front of him but that's only a 'might'. wink He's not dosed nearly as often as The Lodger who while immensely sociable to other cats, seems to regard small mammals as a personal challenge. (Not birds, interestingly - he could care less about them.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now