Want to get a cat- rescue or kitten?

(24 Posts)
tethersend Sun 13-Mar-16 09:24:52

Absolute cat novice here- kids and DP want one, I'm giving in wink

Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of getting a rescue cat vs a kitten (from friends of friends rather than off Facebook)? I'm leaning towards a rescue cat as the kids are young and we would then know if the cat is ok with kids or not. Would hate to get a kitten who ends up frightened of them.

I'm sure there are many points I'm not seeing... Any tips?

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 09:48:25

I think you've already identified the big one for me. With a slightly more mature cat, you have a better idea of what you're getting. (Not a complete idea, I think, because there's still some mutual adjustment to go on.) Kittens are pretty much pot luck - and the kitten stage lasts such a short time in comparison to their likely lifespan with you.

You're often better off going to a rescue, though - they'll likely have already arranged for eg shots, neutering, microchipping etc so any donation they ask for is normally very cheap in comparison.

Do you have any shelters nearby?

MeadowHay Sun 13-Mar-16 09:58:16

I think getting a an adult or at least teenage cat will be good because it will heavily reduce the burden for you considering you have kids too. Kittens are a LOT of work, they need loads of supervision, can be really destructive, very attention seeking etc. My mum adopted two sister cats from the RSPCA when they were about 18 months old and they were lovely, went in their new litter trays perfectly right from the start, not destructive apart from a bit of scratching on sofas and wardrobes but what can you expect...they were timid at first but soon got more confident. They also helped each other feel more confident and settle in and look after each other and play with each other...I know you want one but I thing sibling pairs can be really positive too.

I will say though that if you really want a kitten, you can get kittens in rescue too, it just might mean travelling a bit further or waiting a bit longer. A friend of mine adopted a brother and sister pair of 18 week old kittens about a year ago from a rescue.

SummerSazz Sun 13-Mar-16 10:00:45

We got a 3 year old cat from a rescue and its been brilliant.

tethersend Sun 13-Mar-16 10:04:55

Rescue is sounding like the way to go, thanks smile

I'm in East London- does anyone know of any nearby rescues?

PacificDogwod Sun 13-Mar-16 10:05:52

Get a rescue kitten and post photos smile

OrangeSquashTallGlass Sun 13-Mar-16 10:07:51

Rescue all the way. Especially as a cat novice (you could always get a kitten in the future). The shelter will be able to match your family with a cat who will fit you and it's just as much about the cat as it is about you.

Someone else was interested in our lovely cat but they were turned down as they weren't the right match. I'm so glad they were because now lovely cat is snuggled up on my lap smile.

NarcyCow Sun 13-Mar-16 10:14:12

Rescues are generally inundated with kittens in the summer.

How young are your kids? Mine are 5 and 4 and would be okay with a kitten (but they've grown up with a disabled cat so had to learn to be gentle).

My main tip is to get two, regardless of age. They'll be company for each other when you're out, and they play together and groom each other in ways they don't with humans. Our two are very good friends. I'd never just have one again.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 10:15:13

I second a rescue we are complete cat novices with young children. You can still get a young cat ours was 13 months when we got him so still loves to play but isn't destructive and came knowing how to use his litter tray.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 10:26:19

Maybe have a look at catchat tethers. In particular, their Find a Shelter page - second from the left I think. Many of the rescues mentioned will have websites with some of the cats who need homes already featured so you can have a quick look online. (It will only be some of them, though. You'll really need to visit to see who is waiting for you.)

Good luck smile

kirinm Sun 13-Mar-16 10:26:38

Celia Hammond have a base in Canning Town. I don't rate their after care tbh but they have lots of cats looking for a good home.

lottielou7 Sun 13-Mar-16 11:42:24

One thing to bear in mind is that a rescue cat will be a lot more expensive to insure, especially if it has had existing health conditions.

I agree that rehoming a cat is a great thing to do if you don't have children and you have the time to nurture an animal that may already be quite traumatised. I do think it's important to realise that you may be taking on an animal that afraid of people and may not be particularly friendly.

In our case, because I have a severely autistic dd, I felt that we have enough stress in the house already so we got a ragdoll kitten because they are known for their calm nature. So it does depend on your individual situation but look at all sides.

lottielou7 Sun 13-Mar-16 11:43:34

Although obviously a rescue center will be able to tell you what sort of personality your cat has.

kirinm Sun 13-Mar-16 12:21:47

Unfortunately the rescue centre we got ours from didn't know him at all. He terrorised our other cat and attacked her whenever he could get at her. We ended up re- homing him but the rescue centre wouldn't return our calls so our friends took him. He was a bloody gorgeous cat though. I cried for days when we had to re- home him.

BulaBaby Sun 13-Mar-16 12:25:44

Check with your local Cats Protection League to ask if they have kitten rehoming days. This is how we got our cat, who is now 6.

Vinorosso74 Sun 13-Mar-16 13:13:04

Yes to rescue as there's always lots to be rehomed.
Agree with adult cats it's easier to tell how they are with children and they're also passed the completely crazy stage. Again from the reputable rescues they will be vaccinated, neutered, wormed and had flea treatment.
If you're East London as well as Celia Hammond there's Wood Green Animal Shelter and North London Cats Protection (Archway) which aren't too far. The shelters will expect the whole household to meet the cat so take the kids.
Happy cat viewing!

OrangeSquashTallGlass Mon 14-Mar-16 06:29:39

'One thing to bear in mind is that a rescue cat will be a lot more expensive to insure'

Will it? I think I pay £6/month for mine. She has no prior medical issues though (that we knew about at the time...)

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 14-Mar-16 06:51:29

We adopted our first cats, one year old sisters, from a rescue a couple of years ago and they really have been remarkably easy to integrate into our household, I'd far rather do that again than have a kitten. The adoption process was very straightforward too (Cats Protection). The fact that they were rescue cats had no effect on their insurance costs, they were assessed by a vet before leaving the rescue so we were able to say that they had no pre-existing medical conditions.

lottielou7 Mon 14-Mar-16 20:20:06

Yes I meant if they have pre existing conditions. As they get older the insurance goes up anyway actually.

Wolfiefan Mon 14-Mar-16 20:27:04

I wouldn't get a kitten with young children. Our kids are 6 and 12. Both did get scratched in the early days and ended up in tears. They love our kitties now but baby cats that can't get out, aren't neutered and have no social skills (eg NO don't bite the humans!) aren't a great pet for little kids.

The two we had before were mum and son. 2 years and only 18 months. Much calmer and easier to leave and feed and cheaper (spayed already). Never shredded furniture or us!

Both rescues BTW. First ones were from Katz Castle in Surrey.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Mar-16 20:30:55

Kittens can be hard work, they have no common sense & delight in finding new ways to maim themselves.

Wolfiefan Mon 14-Mar-16 20:34:38

Fluffy that's soooo true!
We got our previous cats as adults. I figured if these lived for 20 years I would be too old for this kitten malarkey!
Spot the cat!!!

tethersend Mon 14-Mar-16 21:00:13

Brilliant advice all, thank you smile

I will contact the local rescues.

Flutterbywings Thu 07-Apr-16 09:40:42

Hi I know this is a bit old this thread but found doing cat research smile I have a 6yr old ds with asd, learning difficulties and epilepsy and I'm trying to find the best cat for us. I keep coming back to ragdoll cats. Would you be able to tell me any more about yours Lottielou7? I was worried despite their reported calm nature it may find ds to boisterous and noisey? Ds is a a very noisey in your face type of child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now