End of life care

(5 Posts)
cosmickitten Thu 10-Mar-16 11:59:56

My lovely old boy is 16 in May. He is very poorly, he has a bad case of cat flu, renal failure and a possible stomach tumour.

A weekend at the vets on fluids seemed to help but check up this morning showed his becoming very dehydrated and is still losing weight.

The vet has suggested letting him eat whatever he likes as he wont touch renal food. She told me to keep him comfortable and happy till he shows signs his had enough.

The thing is he is still uber affectionate, socialable and eating a bit (of non renal food). I honestly thought he would look and act sicker when I had too consider putting him to sleep.

Adding to my confusion the other vet at the practise who saw him over weekend thought he was too well to consider not using renal food and treatment. Though to be fair he isn't eating properly and not stable without a drop :-(

As he slowly starving himself to death im feeding food he'll eat as I feel he is too old for a feeding tube. The thing thats tearing me apart is not knowing the line between him not suffering and ending his precious life to soon!!
Any advice or experience you can share?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 10-Mar-16 13:29:03

Cosmic where you are now there is not a wrong time to make the decision, only the right time for your pet and your family. It is always better a day too early than a day too late.
Personally after 18 years experience with cats like yours the most important thing is that he eats rather than eating the right food.

cozietoesie Thu 10-Mar-16 15:34:08

I lost an adored boy to renal failure some years back and I would echo what Lone said. I didn't intervene - and the decision was finally taken out of my hands - because I couldn't bear to lose him and I kept hoping against hope that he would improve. I wish, with hindsight, that I had acted.

This time should be all about him now. I'd let him eat whatever he fancies and make any decision in good time for him.

Thinking of you. It's very hard losing someone even when it's the right and loving thing for them.

cosmickitten Thu 10-Mar-16 17:25:47

Thank you both and sorry for your lose cozie.

If it's not too hard could you prepare me a little on what to expect? Our childhood cat died of kidney failure when I was 9/10. I remember her looking ok and purring. I was heartbroken and angry that my parents put her down. (My poor parents I'm sure I made it worse). As an adult I know cats purr even when in pain and my mum told me she was doubly incontinate and miserable.

I think I need to look for the following signs no longer wanting to feed, lack of self care, yowling and other signs of pain and withdrawing. Is that right?

ifyoulikepinacolada Thu 10-Mar-16 17:31:36

Oh i'm so sorry. It's such a ghastly time. My 17 year old tonk died of renal failure a couple of years back. We knew it was the right time when she withdrew from us (she was so so friendly her whole life), but with hindsight she spent a night too long hanging on.

If he's uber affectionate and still eating anything, do whatever you can to keep him comfortable. When you stop being able to make him comfy and happy you'll know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now