16 year old rescue cat

(13 Posts)
francis223 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:09:37

I've fallen for a 16 year old pastel tortie but my husband is against the idea of adopting a cat at this age - I think he is mostly worried about we and poo everywhere.
Her description states that she is in good health with a touch of arthritis.
Could anyone advise me whether this is a good idea or not?

cozietoesie Wed 09-Mar-16 21:27:09

My own boy came to live with me at 14. That was seven years ago. Yes he has arthritis but the pain of that is largely under control for him even now due to appropriate meds and an indulgent vet.

And he's not peed once in the wrong place so far even at his age. I was talking to the vet about this and she said that in her own experience, older cats didn't - but then she shook her head and said something along the lines of 'Don't talk to me about elderly dogs 'dribbling' though.' grin

He has a stool softener due to having so little left in the way of muscle in his back legs - and the arthritis - but then he's most elderly indeed.

I reckon that if you can give her a couple of good sunset years, Why Not? I'd go for it myself. (And be looking round for heat pads to allocate to her. smile)

TheoriginalLEM Wed 09-Mar-16 21:30:51

She is already on borrowed time, so if you can steal yourself for heart ache, then do give her a lovely home to see out her years. Bear in mind that medication for pain relief in cats is £££ but cheaper if you buy it online with a presrcription

Kernowgal Sun 13-Mar-16 19:32:35

Bumping this as I've fallen for a 15-year-old puss in the local rescue centre. He is in good health generally, if a bit thin, but is very friendly and sweet. Sounds like he'd be quite happy being mostly indoors, which suits me, although I'd get him a flap so he could go out if he wanted.

My main concern is insurance. My local vet does a £10/month flea treatment/dental check-up scheme but full insurance is pretty pricey.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 19:55:14

Difficult one. I didn't even attempt to get it for my own old boy (he wasn't originally expected to last more than a month or two) and until very recently, I got away with it. Over the piece, I've probably broken even with what I would have paid on a standard policy - and recently, he's been on a palliative care regime. If something goes badly wrong for him now ..........Well.

Personally, my cc is happy enough with the way things have gone financially with such an elderly cat. (If I had a younger cat, I'd get insurance without question.)

Kernowgal Sun 13-Mar-16 21:28:38

There are various co-pay schemes that are cheaper (you pay the excess plus 20% of any bills), so I'd be tempted to go for something like that.

Wolfiefan Sun 13-Mar-16 21:33:16

Our old girl had arthritis and lasted to 19. They may well need meds. Could you do a permanent foster or would they contribute to costs?
At the end she cost about £60 a month on meds alone. (More than one issue)
If you can afford it and accept you won't likely have another 10 years together then I would.
Oh and she never messed or wet where she shouldn't.

PestilentialCat Sun 13-Mar-16 22:17:38

I took in an ancient creaky old stray - the vet thought 15+ - he was so friendly & talkative. Unfortunately my girl cats hated him so he went to live my widowed mum, till he died a couple of years later. Such a nice cat & no swarming up the curtains

smile

PestilentialCat Sun 13-Mar-16 22:18:08

*with my mum

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 13-Mar-16 22:50:24

If you can give a home to an older cat, please do! They give so much back in terms of loving friendship, in my experience. Cats of this age have very often mellowed, and just want an occasional bit of fuss, and an otherwise quiet life, with a warm place out of the way to sleep. Some are actually hugely affectionate, if encouraged! (They like a warm lap).
Do it, OP! I like to hope, that if my family for some awful reason could not have our lovely cats any longer, that they could find good homes to rest their paws. They are very affectionate, good, quiet cats, who just like to lol around on a bed all day, but enjoy a stroke when it is offered. One is particularly old, but is still a fabulous pet!

timtam23 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:53:30

Older cats are often very fond of snoozing, my two dies spent vast periods of time asleep. I had always intended to adopt an oldie after my 2 died but instead I found an abandoned stray kitten, oh well. My next cat will definitely be an oldie.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 23:45:39

The oldest Siamese rescue cat I ever saw published was a valiant old boy of 19 whose owner had just died.

I think he was only on the website for a couple of days before he was offered a home. smile

Kernowgal Mon 14-Mar-16 19:11:04

I'm going to take him. I will get insurance though. He's not on any meds at the moment but it means I'm prepared if things do go wrong. I would always take the vet's advice on whether it'd be worth keeping him going though, would never want a cat to suffer unnecessarily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now