Do you have an alpha cat?

(13 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Tue 08-Mar-16 15:50:39

I know cats aren't supposed to be hierarchical creatures, but no-one told Bibi that. When she's not lying around 'exuding power' as my DP puts it, she can often be found controlling the movements of the house with her eyes or stalking the garden for intruders. She frequently sits on me with both arms on my shoulders and head butts my face and chin lest I start getting above my station. Do you have an alpha cat in your house?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:32:24

Oh yes. We're just his bitches.

Outside he chases off all the other cats. I've seen the neighbours pour water over him because he's scrapping and all you can see is the bushes furiously shaking.

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 08-Mar-16 18:34:58

his bitches grin
It's hard to think of them as a 'pet', isn't it? I don't feel like I 'own' Beebs. She definitely thinks she owns me, though!

sugarplumfairy28 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:05:17

We have 10 cats and there is most definitely an order to things. Our Momo is our Alpha female, to the extent that when one of our others had kittens 3 weeks after her, she fed them and washed them as if they were her own. We have our Alpha male, George, he is the eldest and biggest of the boys. We have 3 Betas, sort of, all siblings and when it comes to eating they are next in line to Momo and George. The others are all submissive and get put in their place. Everyone adores Momo and she will wash everyone, George gets left alone, no-one argues with him over his spot or bowl. He is also my boy and shamefully gets special treatment from, he is the only one allowed in my bedroom lol.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:27:13

When I was little we had a mum & kitten, both alphas. It was frosty to say the least.

Especially when we got mum & she washed daughters head who she hadn't seen for a year.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 09-Mar-16 07:43:09

Momo and George sound fab <3
Yikes, two at the same time! Luckily Zara is a non-confrontational sort. When Beebs is throwing her weight around she just turns her back or closes her eyes, and comes for her personal fuss when Beebs is otherwise occupied. Very sensible.

RubbishMantra Fri 11-Mar-16 16:16:39

MCat is alpha, but Little Monsieur doesn't realise. He's like one of those "jokers" at the office, who thinks he's hilarious, but everyone thinks is a bit annoying. The sort that would wear a spinning bow tie.

MCat will show his displeasure when Little M shows too much interest in his intimate area. To be fair, Little M is a very lovable dickhead, and he's only young.

cozietoesie Fri 11-Mar-16 16:42:48

Seniorboy has the whole house revolving round him. I just have to say 'Oh, we need to do such and such because that will suit Seniorboy.....' and everyone just says 'OK'.

I don't think I've ever abused his power. grin

RubbishMantra Sun 13-Mar-16 04:52:11

Why not Cozie? I'd bet my last fiver, were positions reversed, he'd abuse your power.

I buy silly beautiful hats for MCat, because I know he'd put silly hats on me and point and laugh if he had thumbs. And a bank account.

And I'm only up at stupid o'clock because Little Monsieur kept walking up and down the length of me until I lifted the duvet and tucked him in. Just lifting the duvet and mumbling "gerrin then", isn't good enough. Bedside light must be switched on, and his pillows plumped to his satisfaction. The entitled dickhead is now asleep, head on pillow whilst I'm now wide awake.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 08:25:02

You're right. He'd look on placidly, I expect, while I was being consigned to the fires. sad

Oh he'd miss me in bed, sure, but he's a very old Siamese. He may have re-bonded with me but his life is still, basically, Me, Me, Me. I'm wallpaper.

I knew who was coming to live with me though and it doesn't bother me. I love him to distraction nonetheless. smile

RoosterCogburn Sun 13-Mar-16 19:04:12

Yes, but luckily he's a placid boy who likes to reign in a benevolent fashion.

His underling - boycat2 often needs cuffing around the ear to keep him in place.

GirlCat1 thinks she is in charge, but she isn't, GirlCat2 pretends she is our only cat and doesn't acknowledge the others apart from a disdainful glare - GirlCat3 knows her place and she is very young - but she is very smart so I have a feeling that one day - hopefully in many many years time - she will be the boss.

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 14-Mar-16 11:11:28

Cozie I think I'm in long-distance love with Seniorboy. What a fabulous creature he is.

iloveeverykindofcat Mon 14-Mar-16 11:12:50

Rubbish Bibi does that too. No matter how I arrange it, she always manages to get the best pillow and lounge so that she takes up all of it. She looks so gorgeous doing it though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now