Croydon cat killer

(29 Posts)
dingit Sun 06-Mar-16 09:45:30

Advice please. The Croydon cat killer struck very close to my home last night, and I've decided to keep my girl in at night. She's 9 and doesn't go out very much now anyway.

Do I need a litter tray at night for her? I'd rather do without it, but I don't want upset her or make her ill holding it in, she's a very clean cat normally.

Thanks

Alfieisnoisy Sun 06-Mar-16 09:47:16

I would put one somewhere just in case she is caught short. I don't blame you keep your cat in at night as there are some nasty folk about. I keep my three in after dark and I live in a quiet area.

Alfieisnoisy Sun 06-Mar-16 09:47:44

Evil person whoever it is.

pinkcan Sun 06-Mar-16 09:58:00

Don't you just have a litter tray always available for her?

I've not heard of the Croydon cat killer though. Is it in the media?

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 10:28:29

Yes - you need a tray for her, especially as she's getting on a little and becoming a homebody.

tippytap Sun 06-Mar-16 10:30:34

I've just heard about this. It's horrific! Who would do this?

dingit Sun 06-Mar-16 10:35:55

Pink an, it's in the local and social media, not seen it nationally yet.

She's not had a litter tray since she was a kitten.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 06-Mar-16 10:40:31

Just googled it sad

I hope the perpetrator is caught before anyone else loses their beloved pet.

Vinorosso74 Sun 06-Mar-16 10:58:05

The person doing this is sick. I believe a fox or two has been killed in the same manner along with all these poor cats. Really hope they catch them soon.
As for your cat, yes curfew her in the evening and get a tray for her. You may need to try a few places for it!

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 11:56:58

Early training should kick in on the litter tray. Hopefully, she'll remember it for what it is. smile

SquirmOfEels Sun 06-Mar-16 12:19:40

here's the BBC article from last month

BirthdayBetty Sun 06-Mar-16 12:22:53

Goodness, what a sick bastard sad

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 06-Mar-16 19:22:52

I found out on Friday that it's getting closer to me. Harry isn't allowed out at night and I've thought about keeping him in during the day, although I won't at the moment.

MissBeaHaving Sun 06-Mar-16 19:30:31

This is horrific sad
I hope everyone in the area is keeping their cats in.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 06-Mar-16 21:58:57

The problem is it's such a wide area now. It's possible that there are copycat killers as well. I'm fed up with hearing about cruelty and sadness, I don't like the world these days sad

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 23:27:01

Cruelty and sadness has long been with us, I'm afraid. I used to keep Twoago inside when we lived in an area which had had much 'catnapping' and that was some years back.

gamerchick Sun 06-Mar-16 23:28:53

Give her a tray, why wouldn't you?

gamerchick Sun 06-Mar-16 23:30:02

I think there's a facebook page set up in favour of the twat, so wouldn't be,surprised if there's copycats going on.

Peaceandloveeveryone Sun 06-Mar-16 23:39:14

My cat is always kept in at night, for her safety and to give wildlife a chance.

RedOnHerHedd Mon 07-Mar-16 00:52:13

So glad I have a house cat. Must be so worrying for you. Hope everyone's cats stay safe.

dingit Mon 07-Mar-16 06:58:46

She went out at about 8 pm last night and was gone over an hour, quite unusual at this time of year. I was beside myself. She turned up with an evil glint in her eyes and dirty paws. And I missed call the midwife!

Tollygunge Mon 07-Mar-16 07:09:50

This is just awful. I live miles away from Croydon but just the actual idea of it has really been upsetting me. Do you know if the police are being active in finding this person? My worry is this is practice for some bigger crime. Keep safe folks.

SuburbanRhonda Mon 07-Mar-16 07:19:45

Yes, there a huge body of research showing a that people who abuse animals frequently go on to commit violent acts against humans.

I watched a heartbreaking episode of the Dog Rescuers where a man who abused his dog so badly it had to be put down, then went on to shake his baby son and got 11 years in prison.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 07-Mar-16 08:53:43

Tollygunge, the police and RSPCA are working closely with an amazing rescue called SNARL (South Norwood Animal Rescue and Liberty). I do think there are copycats which is one of the dangers of making this public, but if it's not made public how can people keep their cats safe?

gamerchick, it's sad but not suprising that there's a FB page set up for the sick bastard. I doubt FB will do anything about it though as their standards seem to be a lot different to the majority of decent people.

maybebabybee Mon 07-Mar-16 09:01:32

Can't bear that this is happening, it's horrendous. There's a lot of hatred towards cats for some reason as well so I have seen some people joking about it on FB etc as well...instantly defriended of course. Vile. Don't think people realise cruelty to animals is a major sign of a psychopath. Loads of serial killers started out this way.

My two girls don't go out at all and I'm glad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now