Cat shit!! I'm so upset.

(18 Posts)
Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 11:33:11

Our cat keeps shitting in dds room sad

He has a litter tray (downstairs) but that seems to not be being used at the moment so guess he does most of his business outside.

He was going through a habit of pooing in dds room once a fortnight maybe but I thought he had stopped it as not happened for a while.

Last night he did it again and I was so angry, dd picked it up and thankfully we stopped her before she put it anywhere else like her mouth. He's then done it again this morning!!!! angry

I'm assuming it's because he can still smell it no matter how well I clean it and so now thinks of it as his litter tray. Thankfully we are moving house at the end of the month so no shit scent for him to follow, but how can I make sure he doesn't start again in the new house?

I'm so upset and angry, I love him and would never get rid of him but this has to stop.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 05-Mar-16 11:36:00

have you tried different litter? My fancypants madam will only use the expensive pink gravelly stuff, and she's not keen on that either, she quite likes to pee down the shower plug hole or in the basin. <boak>

PolterGoose Sat 05-Mar-16 11:37:56

Is there a pattern to when he does it?

Is it when you're home or out?

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 11:39:27

He has happily used it up till very recently, and still does the occasional poo and wee in there. And is in and out of the house a hundred times a day so guess he's doing it then too!

When we move, the house layout will allow him to be shut downstairs at night, so that should help a little.

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 11:39:57

He does it when we are at home, has always been at night apart from this morning.

cozietoesie Sat 05-Mar-16 11:46:47

I'd give him another tray to use.

How old is he?

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:32:14

He will be 1 in May. Do you mean an extra tray or a new one to replace the one he already has?

If an extra one where would I put it? His current one is in the dining room.

Wolfiefan Sat 05-Mar-16 12:34:07

Is he neutered? Keep him out of her room.

Lottie2611 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:36:32

Keep her door closed when he's in the house. Is his litter tray big enough for him?

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:38:09

Yes he is neutered.

She has a stair gate on her door as she would never go to bed otherwise, and I don't want her wandering around upstairs on her own so I can't shut her door to keep him out. When we move I can keep him downstairs at night though and out of her room.

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:38:48

It's quite a big litter tray, but he is quite a big boy so I will see if I can find a bigger tray.

PolterGoose Sat 05-Mar-16 13:16:05

Bigger tray and an extra tray would be a good idea to start with, do you have an upstairs bathroom to put one in? Can you restrict him in your current house at all?

Wolfiefan Sat 05-Mar-16 13:18:10

Are there any new cats about? Big unneutered Tom making him nervous?

MissBeaHaving Sat 05-Mar-16 13:21:43

How old is he Lj?
My elderly cat started this.
You have to remove every last trace of smell where he's been or he's attracted back,you can buy odour neutralisers but white vinegar is an excellent alternative.

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:02:04

Haven't noticed any new cats around, I can shut him in the kitchen in our current house but it's freezing in there. I'm sure he will be fine though.

He's only young miss. Will try white vinegar.

QOD Sat 05-Mar-16 14:04:12

Have u got a lidded tray? They seem to like those more

Lj8893 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:06:20

No I haven't got a lidded tray, my old cat hated it so I didn't bother with this one. Worth a go though!

MissBeaHaving Sat 05-Mar-16 14:08:17

My cat has a nest/igloo type soft bed with little folded blankets inside in our kitchen,I've had to put her in the kitchen at night for the same reason,at least any mess can then be easily cleaned & the smell neutralised.
She's lovely and warm snuggled up inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now