Elderly cat passing blood

(10 Posts)
NigellasGuest Thu 03-Mar-16 11:25:55

Not sure what to do - it could be he is constipated because he has dried food, but the dried food never was a problem before. He is definitely trying to do something but the only result is blood.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Yes I will be phoning the vet today but a bit scared and worried it may be the beginning of the end sad

FuzzyOwl Thu 03-Mar-16 11:28:36

Poor little mite. Constipation would cause it or cystitis if it is the other end. I really hope he is ok.

KitKatCustard Thu 03-Mar-16 11:31:15

No idea of cause but hope he's ok.

NigellasGuest Thu 03-Mar-16 11:52:39

I didn't think of that *FuzzyOwl" - could be he's trying to wee. Small amounts of blood, I've just checked (he's been outside trying, so I've been following his tracks).

He's now sitting on the patio looking quite happy in himself. Will call vet now.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Thu 03-Mar-16 11:57:22

Could be cystitis - we had an elderly cat who had blood in litter tray and it turned out to be cystitis, hope he is ok.

FuzzyOwl Thu 03-Mar-16 12:00:48

My cat suffers from idiopathic cystitis that is mainly brought on by being scared of things like fireworks, a bully cat, visitors, car journeys etc and it looks awful when you see the blood, but a course of antibiotics later and he is absolutely fine. Annoyingly his annual boosters are always enough to set it off, so he is guaranteed to be back seeing the vet a week later.

Glad he is looking quite happy, which is a good sign and hope all goes well at the vet.

NigellasGuest Thu 03-Mar-16 13:35:10

Thanks
I've called them and I'm taking him in now

NigellasGuest Thu 03-Mar-16 14:46:06

Back again and yes, it is cystitis!
Vet gave him a jab of antibiotics, and I have to take him back for another jab tomorrow.
thank you for your kind words.

FuzzyOwl Thu 03-Mar-16 14:48:17

So pleased to hear it is cystitis. Whilst it is clearly painful and distressing, and can be fatal if left untreated, in this case it is probably the least serious reason for your cat to be passing blood. If he is anything like my cat, you will notice a huge difference really quickly and I hope he does make a really swift recovery.

Thanks for updating.

KitKatCustard Thu 03-Mar-16 18:27:06

Hope he (and you) feels better very soon. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now