Help - loose, nervous poop in cat crate, how to clean up cat?

(6 Posts)
Deux Tue 01-Mar-16 11:02:17

Oh dear. Just taken cat for his third visit to the vets as he has a lump on his neck. He needs an operation (£500 <shock>). He's fine in himself and has been out hunting etc so otherwise doesn't seem unwell. Vet was running very late, we're normally in and out. So we had to hang around much longer than usual.

Cat can tolerate short car /journeys in his crate. If he's in his crate too long he poops/vomits.

Just pulling into drive at home and enormous long fart accompanied by runny poop which dear cat then sat in. All over hind legs and tail. <sad and horrified face>.

I corralled him in the porch and wiped him over with baby wipes as that was the only thing handy. He's now corralled in our back lobby/utility and I know his fur is not completely clean.

So what do I do? Do I wash him down with water? Attempt to get him in the sink and clean his rear end?

Any advice greatly received. I need a cat bidet. Oh and the cat hates me right now but I need him clean before I let him loose in the house.

SquadGoals Tue 01-Mar-16 11:44:04

I find an old flannel usually works, warm water and wipe clean several times.

BettyBi0 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:01:05

Ugh I had this once. Poor cat was so traumatised after the car trip so I didn't want to freak him out more by trying to bath him.

I put a large bath sheet on my lap and a stack of warm wet flannels in a washing tub by my side. Then sat with him and kind of stroked him with the flannels for a very smelly 10 mins or so.

It was more than a bit gross but he tolerated it well and stayed pretty calm. Maybe the warm wet flannels feel like when they lick each other clean?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:06:55

I used flannels and water too. Poor cat.

Deux Tue 01-Mar-16 12:31:14

Many thanks. Cat is now clean and we're both a bit traumatised. Well actually me more than the cat.

Our cat isn't the kind of cat who cooperates meekly and I suppose I was just adding insult to injury in trying to clean him. There was a dog in the vets barking which freaked him out too.

I wrapped his front half in a towel, put him between my feet and worked really quickly with warm, dampened kitchen roll. He was protesting and growling like a dog confused.

All went well, cat clean. And I was just congratulating myself when he leaped up and scratched my hand. Blood and plasters.

I've put an old sheet on the bed in the spare room but he's snoozing on his kitchen rug.

I think he'll maybe forgive me if I give him some tuna later.

Bogburglar99 Tue 01-Mar-16 13:04:12

Flannels and water is good. BBK is unbelievably fluffy on the rear end so this has been a recurring problem (looks for yuk emoticon)

If they'll tolerate it it is better if the fur can be soaked and properly washed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now