Where do you keep your litter tray?

(21 Posts)
StillMedusa Sun 28-Feb-16 16:47:38

We used to have 3 trays but they ignored two and all prefer the one massive one, so now I have the one, cleaned daily as Portia at 16 hasn't been out all winter, and the other two use it in the night, or if there is a drop of rain outside!

We use very fine clumping litter and like it, but it leaves a kind of pinkish dust film where they walk (and they scuff it everywhere). Currently it resides in the downstairs loo, but DS2 (who has ASD and coordination problems) tends to trip over it a lot! I don't want it in the kitchen, and we don't have a utility room.
I refresh it (scoop) before work each morning and then again/clean in the evening but often when I get home from work the first thing I notice is cat tray smell.

Any suggestions how I can make it less stinky? Ideally I'd like them to go OUT but they are stubborn!

Aphie Sun 28-Feb-16 16:48:59

I keep mine in the upstairs bathroom. Not sure if you have that option. Other than that have you looked onine at all the ways of disguising it in a side cabinet?

eltsihT Sun 28-Feb-16 16:51:00

Upstairs hall, outside a rarely used cupboard as there is no space in the loos and we don't have a utility room

FizzyGood Sun 28-Feb-16 16:54:18

Under the stairs. Catsan litter is best for odour ime

bigbadbarry Sun 28-Feb-16 16:58:34

I was going to start a thread about this today! I use catsan so it doesn't smell much but they are both in the dining room (and invariably used when we start to eat) and sort of in the way, but I don't have any brilliant alternatives. An upstairs bathroom is quite sensible.

RapidlyOscillating Sun 28-Feb-16 17:09:37

In the only bathroom and in the under stairs cupboard. I mix asda wood litter with Bob Martin litter (like tiny white granules which coat the poos) and have much less smelliness than we used to.

SecretNutellaFix Sun 28-Feb-16 17:15:46

Ours is in the downstairs loo, tucked underneath the sink pipework.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 28-Feb-16 18:52:22

Ours is in the utility room we use Verdo wood pellets and they are great never any smell

Wolfiefan Sun 28-Feb-16 18:56:51

How do you manage to get a litter tray in the under stairs cupboard?
Aphie where could I find ideas to disguise it. Good plan.
OP I put newspaper and rubber mat under the tray to catch some of the dust.

Pointlessfan Sun 28-Feb-16 18:59:07

Ours is in the hall and it's really in the way. We don't have anywhere better for it unfortunately.

TooAswellAlso Sun 28-Feb-16 19:00:46

We have two trays, side by side, in the alcove under the stairs. We use the wood litter, and it winds me up but does seem to stop smells. The cats have taken to dirtying one and wetting the other. Most weird, but works for them.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 28-Feb-16 19:03:03

Two side by side in the understairs cupboard too, with the door permanently ajar (it's not in the way luckily). Keep meaning to fit a catflap but haven't got round to it yet.

pieceofpurplesky Sun 28-Feb-16 19:03:59

I use the litter from Costco in a screw top container. In the downstairs bathroom

RapidlyOscillating Sun 28-Feb-16 20:38:46

Door permanently ajar due to the bags of jute bags on hooks on it!

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 28-Feb-16 20:42:05

Four in the hall, one in the bathroom, I have four indoor cats.
I use Cat's best litter, scooped daily, floors swept and mopped daily.

Vinorosso74 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:53:07

Ours is in our tiny bathroom as cat refused to use it elsewhere!
We only have the one cat but use that Oko cats best litter too-really keepsending the smells down and is easy to scoop the clumps out the tray. I do find whatever litter
we have seems to get stuck in paw pads and scattered in the hall....

CremeEggThief Sun 28-Feb-16 22:55:46

My dcat is no longer with us, but I kept hers in the bathroom/downstairs loo of various houses.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 28-Feb-16 22:57:39

Ours is in the garden.

Sorry, meant to say ours is the garden grin

catbasilio Mon 29-Feb-16 16:57:48

Downstairs loo, Oko cats best flushable litter. The smell is not bad (have not changed for 3 weeks now just scoop out daily) but tracking is horrible.

hipHipboo Mon 29-Feb-16 17:06:16

I use oko cats best litter and have a tray in the bathroom and a tray in the under stairs cupboard, door permanently ajar. The litter is good, but it would help if the cats would cover their poo!

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 29-Feb-16 18:49:18

Mine is tucked at the back of the kitchen, by the back door. I use wood chip and have a covered tray so combined by being close to the door, it doesn't smell at all.

Covered tray is absolutely the way forward - hides even the worst of odours smile and we've had some crackers the last couple of weeks envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now