Clingy cat

(10 Posts)
Spartak Fri 26-Feb-16 00:26:58

I've got a lovely cat from a rescue after her elderly owner died, she's been with me just over a year. She's 16 but seems healthy and she's mostly content and happy.

Over the last two weeks or so, she has taken to scratching at my bedroom door at night. If I let her in, she happily jumps up on my bed and stays until I get up. Problem is that she snores and it keeps me awake. I've tried ignoring her, and going downstairs to give her more food but it hasn't made a difference. She just wants to be where I am. I've got a lodger so ignoring her scratching isn't really an option, but I'm not getting more than 4 hours sleep. She doesn't seem distressed or in pain.

Has anyone got any suggestions? She's my first cat so I'm still learning!

hollinhurst84 Fri 26-Feb-16 00:50:53

Maybe feliway diffuser?
If you leave the door open would she come in when you're asleep and then you might sleep through it?
Mine was a complete PITA at first and on and off the bed and walking on my head hmm now he just settles at the foot of my bed and sleeps. Although if I fidget he sighs and takes himself off to the sofa grin

Spartak Fri 26-Feb-16 02:54:58

Thanks, I'd not heard of the feliway diffuser before, it's worth a try.

She's just woken me up by sitting on my chest and putting her paw in my ear, while purring loudly. She's very sweet natured though, even manages to get my dad on side when he comes to visit and he normally hates cats.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Feb-16 07:38:26

My Siamese boys have to sleep with me and that's that. No argument on my part is possible. (In fact they take exclusion as a punishment and would just become rattled and brooding if I tried it. (Great for discipline purposes though.smile))

The snoring is a pity though. Is it something you think you might grow accustomed to or is it really loud? Oh - and where does she sleep? (I'm thinking that if you were to allow her deep in the bed - where my boys sleep - then the sound might be muffled a little by duvet folds etc. )

Unicorncatsack Fri 26-Feb-16 07:39:44

Earplugs? grin

Spartak Fri 26-Feb-16 07:51:52

She wants to sleep on my pillow or sat on my chest. When I move her she'll settle after a few minutes of head bumping as long as she's in physical contact with me.

I suppose I could try earplugs once she's in my room - I tried getting her to come in last night when I went to bed but she was having none of it. She seems to want to come in at some point between 3am and 4am. I don't have kids so I'm not used to sleep deprivation smile

cozietoesie Fri 26-Feb-16 07:58:46

Sounds as if you need to entice her deeper into the bed then. (Never a problem with Siamese - it seems to be their natural habitat.)

Is leaving your door open a problem what with the lodger and all?

Spartak Fri 26-Feb-16 08:21:06

The lodger gets up early and would worry about waking me up but that's not a huge big deal. I could try getting her to go underneath the duvet. That might work.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Feb-16 09:06:26

Worth a try maybe. We make a big production number of going to bed here with lots of 'key words' and key activities to give the cats a clue so you might usefully develop your communication with her to include those?

I'd leave the door ajar anyway, at least to see how you get on. It's difficult for me because I'm actually accustomed to being told off if I'm too late to bed, Siamese being drawn to it - to get their Love ration - and given to sleeping through.

sashh Fri 26-Feb-16 09:18:01

ear plugs - for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now