How to cope with a cat on cage rest?

(5 Posts)
HouseOfMouse Thu 25-Feb-16 18:57:09

Asking this for my mum. One of her cats injured himself slipping on a wet roof and has damaged ligaments in one of his hind legs - he has had an operation and is now in plaster, which has to be on for at least 8 weeks (plus a kind of removable boot thing on top), and during that time he has to be kept in a cage to recover. He came home from the vets a couple of days ago, and my mum has acquired a good sized cage and all his favourite food etc. but as you can imagine he is VERY pissed off.
She has 4 cats altogether - he is a former farm cat and is a young tom (neutered), about 3 years old, who has always been very active and had the run of the house and garden. Since he's come back and been put in the cage, he has trashed his bed, food and litter and is in a major strop. Obviously he can't be let out because his leg has to recover and jumping etc. could damage it again. Normally he is very laid back and a big softy.
We're obviously hoping that he settles down as it is still early days, but my mum is very stressed about it and worries he will hate her for this and clear off forever once she is able to let him out. Has anyone else had to do this or have any tips on how to make things easier for the cat?

Mner Thu 25-Feb-16 19:02:55

Ours was on bed rest for 6 weeks a couple of years ago. It was a nightmare. He refused to use his litter tray and would poo anywhere else in the cage in protest (including on his dinner).

Has she tried some feliway plug ins? I think they helped a bit...

HouseOfMouse Thu 25-Feb-16 19:05:33

I was afraid you might say that - cats just don't understand captivity. Maybe an older cat might accept it a bit better. I take it yours didn't run away though and has forgiven you?
Feliway is a good idea though - I will suggest it, thanks.

Mner Thu 25-Feb-16 19:25:01

He was 8 or 9 I think when it happened. He had a bone removed in his pelvis after a car crash, and another bone had to have time to heal.

He is a grumpy cat at the best of times, and absolutely hates the litter tray. Whenever we've had to keep in the house (when we just got him or when we moved house...), he uses the bath instead. It's only ever a matter of before we cave and let him out.

Him in a cage was never going to go well.

He has forgiven us. He is just as grumpy as he ever was!

Mner Thu 25-Feb-16 19:25:27

The early days were the best when he was still on the drugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now