Cats and high gloss kitchen units?

(14 Posts)
sluj Sun 21-Feb-16 18:02:17

Just contemplating my new kitchen and wondered if anyone had any experience of cats and high gloss doors. I can tell from the muddy footprints that my two like to scamper up the front of the units on to the worktop. Just wondering if their claws might scratch the fronts?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:04:57

I don't get scratch marks. Fingerprints will drive you nuts though.

Window cleaner & glass e cloths bring them up nice again.

thecatneuterer Sun 21-Feb-16 18:11:13

I'm about to change my units too and I just don't know what the most cat-proof type would be.

At the moment I've got dark high gloss and I hate them. They constantly get splash marks on them, which is nothing to do with the cats, and unless I polish them constantly they look a bit crap. However they don't get scratched.

I was talked into having a set of aluminium fronted drawers and they are scratched to buggery.

The only thing that's attracting me at all to gloss again is that the cats don't seem to scratch them. And maybe a paler gloss wouldn't show all the splash marks (I've no idea quite how I manage to splash them all the time, but i seems that I do), but it would show the muddy footprints as they shin up them.

Anyone feel like suggesting something for me too please?

Wolfiefan Sun 21-Feb-16 18:16:21

I would like cat proof (as in they can't open) doors.
Gloss would have our two admiring or attacking themselves in the shiny reflection!
grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:20:30

Pity you can't get granite doors.

cozietoesie Sun 21-Feb-16 18:29:50

I believe that if you have halfway standard units you can fairly easily buy replacement doors alone. smile

6cats3gingerkittens Mon 22-Feb-16 10:54:43

I have matt white units, no problems with them. I think most units are bomb proof unless you go for real wood. That they can scratch. But l would still rip out my kitchen and have freestanding cabinets if l could afford to. I hate fitted kitchens, no soul or personality. Yes l know they're just cupboards but the bottom cupboards are only comfortably accessible from a sitting position on the floor and the wall cupboards need a small step ladder for reaching the top shelf. I'm 68 and have arthritic knees, l don't need my kitchen to be a gymnasium. Grrrrr!

cozietoesie Mon 22-Feb-16 11:35:26

Mine aren't allowed on kitchen surfaces. That avoids the problem smile

abigamarone Mon 22-Feb-16 18:45:43

Mine aren't 'allowed' on the kitchen units either.

Hi gloss white doors, get loads of pawprints especially on the wall cupboard their food is kept on top of. But no scratches at all.

RedOnHerHedd Tue 23-Feb-16 00:02:31

Haha! Mine isn't allowed on kitchen surfaces either. He hasn't had this memo. I have high gloss wardrobe doors in my bedroom, he keeps trying to play with the other cat in the door.

abbsismyhero Tue 23-Feb-16 00:05:08

run and crash run and crash and climb and slip chances are the older your cats get the less likely it is they will be able to climb without needing to use there claws

Monty27 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:06:02

I have high gloss, paw marks but no scratches, the carpets and sofa on the other hand.... [cat miaow]

IHeartKingThistle Tue 23-Feb-16 00:07:22

It's been a very long time since my cat has been able to climb anywhere! We have white gloss units and a black cat. I just seem to spend my life wiping black hairs off the plinth or ignoring it

MadamDeathstare Wed 24-Feb-16 12:33:30

DeathCat1 used to hiss at her reflection in the washing machine, dishwasher, and even the plastic surround we attempted to put up around her litter tray. The vet described this behavior as 'she is confused'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now