How to know if you're feeding them the right amount?

(11 Posts)
Thurlow Sat 20-Feb-16 19:02:09

Me again grin

I'm just wondering the above. Our cat is a teeny little thing, only 3.2kg and slim built with it too. She needed to put on weight so we just fed her what she wanted.

She's now eating 2 sachets of Felix a day, and is also getting through a bowl of dried food too - we leave it out as we are sometimes out all day. It's decent quality dried too. She does ask for food.

Is this too much, compared to other cats her size?

Bogburglar99 Sat 20-Feb-16 19:08:16

That's about what 5-6kg Bogbastardkitten has, so maybe a bit much? How big is the bowl?

On the other hand if she is now a decent weight and isn't getting fat, that's maybe your best guide. Assume cats have different metabolisms just like humans?

Thurlow Sat 20-Feb-16 19:12:09

That's what I thought blush I know other cats the same size who seem happy with one bowl of dried a day! The bowl of dried isn't huge though.

RobotMenu Sat 20-Feb-16 19:26:38

shock

Our little cat is also 3.2kg. I've been feeding her 4 pouches per day! (no dry though). (Occasionally 3 split into 4 meals). I've been feeding nature,s menu/ butcher's/ animonda carny that type of thing)

She has grown since we got her (she was very skinny and needed to put weight on).

I've assumed that as she hasn't put weight on sideways then it's ok. It, she's grown, but isn't putting fat on.

I hope this is ok now confused

Girlfriend36 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:13:17

My cats have dry food out all the time, this just gets topped up and about half a tin of Butchers Classic a day.

Boy cat is quite a big boy though over 4kg and girl cat is on long term steroids so is hungry all the time!!

cozietoesie Sat 20-Feb-16 22:17:02

Does she leave any at all or is she noshing the lot down steadily as she's given it?

QforCucumber Sat 20-Feb-16 22:32:29

Ours get a pouch for breakfast, dried down at all times and a pouch at tea time - sounds about normal here smile

Thurlow Sat 20-Feb-16 23:59:17

She eats it all - 4 half sachets a day and a bowl of dried. Maybe that is right then?!

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 21-Feb-16 00:16:19

How old is she? Is she neutered? Does she go outside? Is she quite an active cat? All of those factors will affect how much she will eat.

My little 8 month old Raggie X Main Coon is about that size and eats 1.5 to 1.75 400g cans of Feringa/Animonida type food a day. No dried though. She has 3 meals. We used to feed Nature's Menu too about 4 pouches a day.

Talulaley Sun 21-Feb-16 00:29:54

My neutered boys have about a can (400g) of Butchers classic each per day. They weigh 3.5, 4 and 5 kg (the smallest is only 8 months old and still growing).

Thurlow Sun 21-Feb-16 07:43:50

Only neutered 10 days ago so we don't yet know how much she'll go outside.

Ok, it's not sounding too bad...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now