Deciding which cat... (sort of)

(16 Posts)
LemonRedwood Thu 18-Feb-16 16:37:48

Sorry, this has turned out to be long.

Officially, I already have 2 cats. Neither of them live with me. 1st cat was adopted when I was still at university and still officially living at home, but in the 14 years since he is now really my mum's cat and as he's 20, he is properly settled in her house.

Cat 2 was rescued as a kitten by me and my sister from the middle of a main road. Vet estimated he was about 10 weeks old. He's now approaching 7yo and spends most of his day tormenting children in the playground of the school next door outside. When I got married, he stayed with my sister as I was moving in with my husband into a 2nd floor flat. Informal agreement was that when we eventually bought a house, the cat would come and live with us. Now we do have a house but I get the sense my sister is more attached to cat 2 than she lets on (also the lodger nearly cried when I mentioned possibly taking cat 2 away!). Cat 2 certainly has his little kingdom set up where he is right now and although I miss him, I visit for cuddles and get feeding duty when sis is on holiday.

There is a cat who visits the school where I work. The DC of the family who own him attend the school. He's just over a year old and so unbelievably friendly and cuddly. This cat is also unhappy at his present home due to issues with the other cat they have and will refuse to go home and has been locked in the school by mistake on several occasions because he will hide. The owner has talked about rehoming him but was reluctant because DC would be upset and was hoping it would sort itself out. I haven't raised the issue with her again as I don't want her to think I want to steal her cat. I do.

I've always had cats and in 3 years living in an un-cat-friendly flat I really felt something was missing from our home.

WWYD? Would it be best to steal broach the subject of rehoming school cat, or regain custody of cat 2, or adopt via rspca or similar, or buy from a breeder?

SomethingAboutNothing Thu 18-Feb-16 16:40:20

Have you spoken to your sister about cat 2? Surely that will give you a better idea of whether to look to get another cat or not?

lljkk Thu 18-Feb-16 16:41:08

unhappy 1yo cat yes that one

why do people go to breeders? What's so special about a special breed cat?

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Feb-16 16:47:03

You could ask about cat 2. Along the lines of you are really missing having a cat but think cat 2 is settled with your sister.
1 year cat. Next time you have to take him home you could say if they ever decide to rehome then you'd be happy to help. But you might end up visiting.
Or visit a local rescue. Loads of cats just waiting for a new slave.
grin

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Feb-16 16:48:50

Lljkk I grew up with Burmese and I love them. I'd also love a Siamese. Really would love a Siamese. (We have always had rescues until now.) But I checked out local rescue and found these two. Couldn't resist!

LemonRedwood Thu 18-Feb-16 16:50:48

Yes, spoken to my sister. Whilst she hasn't outright said she doesn't want me to take him, I know her well enough to know the delay tactics and shifts of conversation topic mean she would like to keep him. She has also asked me when I'm getting another cat and we already know from bitter experience that cat 2 does not do well living with other cats.

Girlfriend36 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:51:45

I think you need to confirm with your sister that she 100% happy to keep the cat and isn't expecting you to take it back.

If the school cat is up for rehoming and you feel able to give him a good home then yes this seems like a good idea.

If not then always get a rescue cat - they are full of cats looking for good homes. I personally think anyone who breeds cats (mogs) is irresponsible.

LemonRedwood Thu 18-Feb-16 16:53:21

I may have to fight off some of the other staff for school cat - he's become very popular!

Wolfie Those 2 are gorgeous

LemonRedwood Wed 23-Mar-16 19:38:28

Update if anyone is interested.
Cat 2 is now officially sister's cat. She didn't want to say goodbye.
Owner of school cat had decided that the two were getting on better and things were working out, but after a couple of weeks realised it really wasn't. She came to me today and asked if I was still thinking of getting a cat as they are looking to rehome school cat's brother, rather than school cat. He is also very friendly and cuddly.
Of course, I said yes grin
Bringing him home next week.
Will post some pics when he's settled in smile

Daftaboutthecat Wed 23-Mar-16 19:52:23

Excellent news lemon can't wait to see him

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:45:21

That's a lovely update.

LemonRedwood Tue 29-Mar-16 20:00:08

School Cat's brother is now officially settled in his new home and has wasted no time nabbing the best seat on the sofa!

He's a bit like Mary's little lamb at the moment - if I get up to do something he will follow - but seems happy enough. He is curled up and purring but the ears are still twitching at every noise and his eyes are only half-closed so he's still a bit wary. Looks like he might settle easily though. smile

On a sad note, 1st cat, who was only a few weeks away from the grand old age of 21, had to be pts. A benign lump that he'd had just below his shoulder for a few years decided to turn nasty and the vet said he could operate but it was unlikely that he would wake again sad Mum decided that it was best not to have him suffer as the lump was obviously causing him discomfort and distress.

This day has turned into a bit of a bittersweet one but my new boy seems open to lots of cuddles so that helps. Mum is also looking forward to meeting her new grand-cat.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 29-Mar-16 20:05:43

20 is an excellent age though, it'd be mean to put him through surgery at that age.

I expect new cat is just figuring out what the normal sounds of your house are. He certainly looks comfy. He's so handsome!

LemonRedwood Tue 29-Mar-16 20:19:34

I know fluffy and he did have a very good life spoilt rotten grin

My new boy is incredibly handsome and he knows it!

Wolfiefan Tue 29-Mar-16 20:21:43

I'm sorry for your loss. I think at that grand old age your mum made the right (but bloody hard) decision.
Your new master cat is lovely!
wink

LemonRedwood Tue 29-Mar-16 20:35:47

Thank you Wolfie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now