Can cats tell when you're ill/upset?

(23 Posts)
Dancergirl Sat 13-Feb-16 14:52:15

I know dogs can but what about cats?

I was watching something a bit gory on tv the other day and felt faint so had to lie down on the floor with my legs up on a bean bag. Our beloved cat came to sit next to me, it was like she was watching over me. Do you think she knew something wasn't right?

Roobix04 Sat 13-Feb-16 14:58:53

When my mum rang to tell me my childhood cat had died after having had her for 17 years both of my cats were all over me while I cried.
A few months later I had to leave one at the vet and it was very possible she'd never be coming home. My other cat didn't leave my side while I cried myself to sleep. So it's possible your cat was looking out for you.

Roobix04 Sat 13-Feb-16 14:59:28

My cat made a full recovery thankfully.

poppiesanddaisies Sat 13-Feb-16 21:42:15

These are lovely smile

My dad died 21 months ago, and it was always awful in the morning as I'd wake up and remember.

My cat would lie right next to me and I think he used to purr extra loud to try and comfort me (normally in the morning he is only interested in his breakfast so I'm convinced!)

minmooch Sat 13-Feb-16 21:49:10

I think somehow they do know. It's a terrible time of year for me, coming up to the second anniversary of my son's death. My two (mother and son) usually sleep seperately but the last few nights have curled up side by side next to me throughout the night. Usually the mum tells the boy off if he so much as looks at her (he's very deferential to her) but it's like they know I need comfort. I like to think that anyway.

poppiesanddaisies Sat 13-Feb-16 22:13:46

I'm sure they do, minmooch

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your son and how recent sad flowers

Powertotheparalai Sat 13-Feb-16 22:56:04

Absolutely they can. Before I got did diagnosed with cancer my cat started sleeping in my room with me, looking after me and whenever I was home from hospital she would sit on the arm of the chair keeping guard smile

nowayjose1 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:19:04

I had really bad anxiety and panic attacks caused by a thyroid problem at the beginning of last year. Without sounding crazy my cat was my best friend during that time! I found him so calming, he would lay next to me whilst in was in bed never leaving my side.

tdm1 Mon 15-Feb-16 15:31:08

About 20 years ago, I was not well, house-sitting in a foreign country and feeling very alone. I opened the kitchen door and a cat I'd never seen came in and spent the day cuddled up with me - it was incredibly comforting. I never saw it again after that day.

FannyFifer Mon 15-Feb-16 15:35:29

My cat minds anyone in the house that's unwell or upset, he's not usually very sociable but will basically stand guard over whoever isn't well.

ppandj Mon 15-Feb-16 15:49:39

My mum's cat definitely knows and comes to sit with you if you're ill or upset. When my sister and I were teens and lived at home, if we were bickering the cat would sit between us and miaow! It was like she was asking us to stop arguing I swear!

IPokeBadgers Mon 15-Feb-16 15:58:21

I think they can. I know our cat was very different in her behaviours when my mum was dying from cancer. Normally the wee minx would have spent ages walking all over her, pawing and getting on but when mum was very poorly the car would very gently get up beside her and settle immediately, as if she was trying very hard to not disturb my mum.

eatyouwithaspoon Mon 15-Feb-16 16:05:25

My cat has only ever sat on me twice in 33 years, both times she has sat on my arm when i have been lying on my side in bed with a fever!

eatyouwithaspoon Mon 15-Feb-16 16:06:19

13 not 33 grin

MagpieCursedTea Mon 15-Feb-16 20:37:31

My cat is all over me when I cry. She purrs and head butts me until I cuddle her and calm down. She should be a therapy cat!

80schild Mon 15-Feb-16 20:49:42

They definitely know something. A few weeks before my 12 week scan I remember she sat on my belly. When I
went for the scan I discovered miscarriage.

sunnydayinmay Mon 15-Feb-16 20:53:37

Minmooch. flowers

I had a very independent cat who didn't like cuddles, but the evening before I was waiting for some important exam results, she would not leave my lap and slept with her head against mine.

turquoisetoad Tue 16-Feb-16 19:32:47

Sadly my mum died of cancer when I was just 12, she was 40. I have such awful memories of that time but one comfort was our family cat, Tigger, who snuggled up next to my mum in her bed every single day when she was so poorly. He was a very special cat and I know my mum loved him being there with her through her darkest times. I'm sure cats are very sensitive to illness and suffering.

plantsitter Tue 16-Feb-16 19:34:44

My cat as a child used to bring you grass of you were ill. Cats eat it when they have a stomach upset.

SevenOfNineTrue Wed 17-Feb-16 12:02:59

Definitely. Two of my cats always knew. One would get off the bed and sleep elsewhere if I tossed and turned on a normal night. If I was was rushing to the bathroom or tossing and tuning while sick, she always stayed.

My last boy would always wake me up for breakfast or food if I was asleep and it was feeding time. If I was sick, he'd simply sleep with me until I awoke naturally.

SmilingandWaving Wed 17-Feb-16 12:08:51

My cat definitely knows when DS is ill, he'll spend all day curled up with him if allowed. Although I suspect he's just attracted to the increased body heat of a fever rather than any sort of sympathy! He'll do anything for a bit of extra heat.

TattyDevine Wed 17-Feb-16 12:19:18

My cat would always come and sleep on my chest when I was recovering from a tummy bug once the puking had stopped. Every single time! smile

TreatYoSelf Thu 18-Feb-16 14:26:43

The night my childhood cat (who lived with my parents) died, my own cat was unusually loving and gentle.

I went to bed early, upset, and TreatCat lay calmly on me with her head on my shoulder and a paw across my chest.

She has never done this again and is never normally so placid. It totally took me by surprise and still makes me feel tearful with the loveliness of it. star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now